Discovery MedCamp: June 6-11, 2021
Rising High School 11th and 12th Grade + Rising College Freshmen
Interested in a healthcare career and not sure which one is for you? Now is the time to apply for Discovery MedCamp! Campers will examine and explore the multi-faceted world of healthcare careers alongside current health professions students and faculty in a five-day residential experience on the campus of Auburn University (AU).
Hosted by the Southeast Alabama AHEC and led by the AU Interprofessional Education (IPE) faculty team, campers will investigate nine different health care,career options: Osteopathic Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Speech & Audiology, Pharmacy, Dietetics, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, & Athletic Training. Campers will also tour the labs and go behind the scenes at East Alabama Medical Center for an up-close look at the real world of medicine.
The purpose of Discovery MedCamp is to empower students with the experience and knowledge needed to make better informed decisions about their future careers. After a week of immersion into a variety of disciplines, you will come away with a deeper understanding of what it means to work in each area - and if that choice is best for you!
Title Sponsor Since 2017
Meals will be provided in one of the newly-renovated campus dining locations. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
Faculty information coming soon!
This program is open to students in Alabama who are interested in a healthcare career. Please fill out the application by April 1, 2021.
Note: Students who are admitted to camp as rising college freshmen must be under 19 years of age at the time of camp and cannot attend college orientation before camp.
Camp Fees are $350 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation and transfer requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to email@example.com or call (334)844-5100.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $40.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
- A camper’s registration for one program may be transferred to another program. Prior to May 1, 2021, there is no charge to change programs. After May 1, 2021, there is a $25 fee per transfer.
- A camper’s registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee per transfer.
A limited number of full and partial camp scholarships are available. Please apply to camp to be considered.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: November 11, 2020