Building Construction Camp: June 23-28, 2019
Rising 11th – 12th Grade
The Building Construction camp hosted by the Auburn University McWhorter School of Building Science is a week long program geared toward rising 11th - 12th grade students interested in the field of Construction Management.
Participants will learn from McWhorter School of Building Science faculty and current students about construction materials and methods and how to plan and safely manage a construction project. There will be opportunities for hands-on experience and each participant will utilize and practice their learned skills throughout the week while working together to build a construction project.
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
The McWhorter School of Building Science is located in the M. Miller Gorrie Center, which opened in 2006. Gorrie Center earned the State of Alabama’s first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. This state-of-the art “green” building is equipped with unmatched information technology. Students will also complete a construction project throughout the week at the Building Science Field Lab.
Mike Hosey, Field Demonstration/Lab Manager
Mike Hosey received his Bachelor of Science in Building Science from Auburn University in 1978 and a Post Graduate Degree in Project Management from the University of Salford in the United Kingdom in 2013.
Mike has over 40 years of experience in residential, commercial and industrial construction both in the field and in the office. He was a project manager for over 28 projects and involved in estimating and building countless others. Currently, Mike is an Adjunct Professor in Auburn University’s Building Science department as well as a full time faculty position as Field/Demo Lab Manager and Senior Lecturer for the University of Salford. He is also President of Hosey Construction, Inc.
With his vast experience working for both large and small companies (as well as owning his own) Mike can not only show students how to build a wall as well as how to set up their own company.
Camp Fees are $800 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
Applicants intending to commute to camp can contact Auburn Youth Programs at 334-844-5100 to receive a coupon code for the discounted rate.
If a registration is canceled for any reason, the individual or organization making the original CAMP FEE payment will receive:
- A full refund, with a $25 administrative fee deduction, if the cancellation request is received at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the program;
- A refund of 50%, if the cancellation request is received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date;
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Note: A registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- Four (4) pairs of jeans/long pants (no leggings) for construction project
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes – must be worn everyday
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: March 29, 2019