Building Construction Camp: June 21-26, 2020
Rising 11th – 12th Grade
The Building Construction camp hosted by the Auburn University McWhorter School of Building Science is a week long program geared toward rising 11th - 12th grade students interested in the field of Construction Management.
Participants will learn from McWhorter School of Building Science faculty and current students about construction materials and methods and how to plan and safely manage a construction project. There will be opportunities for hands-on experience and each participant will utilize and practice their learned skills throughout the week while working together to build a construction project.
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
Breakfast and dinner will be provided in one of the newly-renovated campus dining locations. Lunch will be catered by the College of Architecture, Design and Construction. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
The McWhorter School of Building Science is located in the M. Miller Gorrie Center, which opened in 2006. Gorrie Center earned the State of Alabama’s first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. This state-of-the art “green” building is equipped with unmatched information technology. Students will also complete a construction project throughout the week at the Building Science Field Lab.
Mike Hosey, Field Demonstration/Lab Manager
Mike Hosey received his Bachelor of Science in Building Science from Auburn University in 1978 and a Post Graduate Degree in Project Management from the University of Salford in the United Kingdom in 2013.
Mike has over 40 years of experience in residential, commercial and industrial construction both in the field and in the office. He was a project manager for over 28 projects and involved in estimating and building countless others. Currently, Mike is an Adjunct Professor in Auburn University’s Building Science department as well as a full time faculty position as Field/Demo Lab Manager and Senior Lecturer for the University of Salford. He is also President of Hosey Construction, Inc.
With his vast experience working for both large and small companies (as well as owning his own) Mike can not only show students how to build a wall as well as how to set up their own company.
Registration for Summer 2020 opens December 2, 2019.
Camp Fees are $835 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation and transfer requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to email@example.com or call (334)844-5100.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $40.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
- A camper’s registration for one program may be transferred to another program. Prior to May 1, 2020, there is no charge to change programs. After May 1, 2020, there is a $25 fee per transfer.
- A camper’s registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee per transfer.
The Auburn University College of Architecture, Design and Construction (CADC) is offering full camp scholarships for Architecture Camp.
Camp scholarship applications open on December 2, 2019 and close on April 1, 2020. Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 9, 2020.
Scholarship seats are set aside until scholarship selections are made. If you plan on attending this camp even if you are not selected for a camp scholarship, please register now to ensure you have a spot. If you are selected for a camp scholarship, any camp fees you have paid will be refunded.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- Four (4) pairs of jeans/long pants (no leggings) for construction project
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes – must be worn everyday
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: November 21, 2019