Advanced Vet Camp: June 11-16, 2023
Rising 12th Grade
The Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine partners with the Auburn University Office of Professional and Continuing Education to offer Vet Camps each summer to youth interested in the veterinary medicine profession.
Campers will learn about veterinary medicine first-hand in classrooms, laboratories, and outdoor facilities that include Auburn’s raptor, equine, dairy, beef, and swine units. Campers will learn about public health, food animals, wildlife, anatomy, imaging, and first aid, as well as gain valuable mentoring about veterinary science careers.
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
For more information on our world-renowned Veterinary program, please visit our website at: http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/.
As a helpful guide to guide to explore veterinary medicine and the science of animals, visit Vet Set Go.
Campers will reside in the Hill Dormitories. They are designed in suites consisting of two double-occupancy rooms connected by a bathroom.
Breakfast and dinner will be provided in one of the newly-renovated campus dining locations. Lunch will be catered at the Auburn University Veterinary Medicine Facility. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
The instructional activities and hands-on experiences for this camp will be held at the Auburn University Veterinary Medicine facility.
Faculty information coming soon.
How and when do I apply to Vet Camp?
- Applications open on December 1st and close on February 15th at 11:59 PM CST. Please use the application link posted on the correct Vet Camp for your upcoming grade. (Grade you will enter in Fall 2023.) To apply, you must fill out the application, and submit a 500 word essay prompt "Please describe what you hope to gain from participation in Vet Camp and what you will contribute to others in the cohort through your participation".
There is a $25 non-refundable application fee. Please pay online immediately after submitting your application. Applicants who demonstrate financial need may qualify for an application fee waiver. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How many students apply for camp?
- Approximately 100 rising high school seniors applied for Advanced Vet Camp. The number of applications we receive increases every year!
How many students are accepted?
- Advanced Vet Camp: 14 applicants
I attended an Auburn vet camp before. Can I apply to attend again?
- Yes! ALL rising seniors will be equally considered to attend Advanced Vet Camp whether or not they have attended an Auburn Vet Camp in the past.
Can I submit test scores with my application?
- The selection committee does not review standardized state test scores or SAT/ACT scores. Please do not submit these scores with your application.
When and how will I find out if I am accepted?
- We plan to send acceptances in late March. You will receive an email from email@example.com.
Is there a waitlist for applicants who are not accepted?
- Applicants who are not accepted are placed on a ranked waitlist. We do not release rankings. When an accepted camper drops their spot, we will contact the next person on the waitlist as soon as possible.
Applications will open on December 1, 2022 at 9AM and close on February 15, 2023. Application fee is $25. Notifications will be sent via email by late March. Please read the Application FAQ before applying.
Accepted applicants will have until April 1, 2023 to accept their spot and pay a $100 deposit. All camp fees are due by May 1, 2023.
Camp Fees are $1,200 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $40.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- Two (2) pairs of jeans/long pants (no leggings) for field trips
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes – must be worn everyday
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: December 2, 2022