Discovery MedCamp: June 25-30, 2023
Rising High School 11th and 12th Grade + Rising College Freshmen
Interested in a healthcare career and not sure which one is for you? Now is the time to apply for Discovery MedCamp! Campers will examine and explore the multi-faceted world of healthcare careers alongside current health professions students and faculty in a four-day residential experience on the campus of Auburn University (AU).
Hosted by the Southeast Alabama AHEC and led by the AU Interprofessional Education (IPE) faculty team, campers will investigate nine different health care,career options: Osteopathic Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Speech & Audiology, Pharmacy, Dietetics, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, & Athletic Training. Campers will also tour the labs and go behind the scenes at East Alabama Medical Center for an up-close look at the real world of medicine.
The purpose of Discovery MedCamp is to empower students with the experience and knowledge needed to make better informed decisions about their future careers. After a week of immersion into a variety of disciplines, you will come away with a deeper understanding of what it means to work in each area - and if that choice is best for you!
Title Sponsor Since 2017
Campers will reside in the Hill Dormitories. They are designed in suites consisting of two double-occupancy rooms connected by a bathroom.
Meals will be provided at The Edge at Central Dining. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
Faculty information coming soon!
This program is open to students in Alabama who are interested in a healthcare career. Please fill out the application by March 19, 2023.
Note: Students who are admitted to camp as rising college freshmen must be under 19 years of age at the time of camp and cannot attend college orientation before camp.
Camp Fees are $365 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $50.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
There are 10 full and 10 partial scholarships available to participants of Discovery MedCamp. To be considered for a scholarship, please fill out the 2023 Discovery MedCamp application under the "apply" tab. Those selected for a scholarship will be notified at time of acceptance into the camp.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: March 29, 2023