Intensive Economic Development Training Course
A two-week course introducing participants to all phases of economic development.
The Intensive Economic Development Training Course is an annual two-week course presented by the Government & Economic Development Institute (GEDI).
The course is divided into two one-week sessions and introduces participants to all phases of economic development. Program leaders and faculty have proven success in economic development practices and techniques. Instructors represent the field’s most effective practitioners from throughout the state and nation.
The first week of the Intensive Course is accredited by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and fulfills one of the prerequisites for those who wish to take the exam for the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation. It provides an intensive overview of general economic development concepts and principles.
The second week focuses on important issues and resources and is especially valuable to economic developers and community leaders practicing in Alabama.
With over 30 years of experience, GEDI is the state’s leading provider of economic development education and training.
The first week of the 2018 Intensive Course will be held on July 9-13, 2018. The second week will be conducted September 10-13, 2018 at The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center, located at 241 South College Street in Auburn.
Who Should Attend
- Local, Regional, and State-Level Economic Development Professionals
- Economic / Industrial Development Board Members
- Chamber of Commerce Officials
- State / Local Elected Officials
- Community Leaders
- County Commissioners
- Utility Company Representatives
- Community / Regional Planners
The course will be moderated by GEDI Executive Director Dr. Joe A. Sumners.
Please find a list of selected course topics included below:
Session I Topics
- Trends in Economic Development
- Workforce Development and Training
- Community Development Fundamentals and Success Models
- Marketing and Business Attraction
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Web and Social Media Marketing Strategies
- Strategic Planning for Economic Development
- Real Estate Development and Reuse
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Economic Development Finance
- Site Selection Case Study Exercise
- Economic Development Ethics
- Building and Managing Economic Development Organization
Session II Topics
- The History of Economic Development in Alabama
- Alabama Government and Economic Development
- Economic Development from the Company’s Perspective
- Alabama Education and Workforce Development
- Recruiting Hyundai: The Montgomery Experience
- Retail as an Essential Economic Development Strategy
- International Trade and Investment
- Rural Development Strategies
- Alabama Programs and Resources to Support Economic Development
- Alabama Economic Development Roundtable
- Field Trip: Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Registration will open soon.
A room block is available with a special room rate of $129 per night, plus applicable taxes.
You can make your room reservations by phone at (800) 228-2876 and reference the GEDI Intensive Economic Development program.
For more information about the course, please contact:
Education & Training
Government & Economic Development Institute
24 Extension Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849
Phone: (334) 844-1901
Last Updated: January 11, 2018