48th Annual Alabama County Government Institute
Building Healthy Counties: Addressing the Challenges of Healthcare Access,
Mental Health, and Substance Abuse
Join us for the 48th Annual Alabama County Government Institute on June 20-21, 2018 in Prattville, Alabama.
Benefits of attending:
- Networking opportunities – make connections with peers and presenters
- Stay informed on the most current topics and trends
- Learn best practices and how other communities are tackling tough issues
- Share your community’s successes and lessons learned
Topics to be discussed include:
- A report on the health rankings of Alabama Counties from Carolyn Bern, Director of the Office of Community Affairs for the Alabama Department of Public Health
- Issues and Challenges of Rural Health Care from Dale Quinney, retired director of Alabama Rural Health Association
- Panel of counties and representatives from rural healthcare to discuss local experiences, issues and challenges
- An overview of mental health in the State from Lynn Beshear, Commissioner, Alabama Department of Mental Health
- Panel discussions from county commissioners, probate judges and sheriff’s department representatives
- NACo representative presentation on the "Stepping Up Program" along with panel discussion from counties involved in the program as well as public defender
- Discussion on substance abuse issues in the State with representatives from the Department of Public Health, the Department of Mental Health and the Department of Youth Services.
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
What is a Healthy County? Alabama County Health Rankings Report
Rural Health Care: Issues and Challenges
Panel: Voices from the Field
Mental Health Overview
County Mental Health Issues Panel: Voices from the field
Thursday, June 21, 2018
"Stepping Up": National Initiative to Reduce the Number of People with mental Illnesses in Jails — Overview and Panel Discussion
Substance Abuse Presentation and Panel
The registration fee of $190 includes the Institute and associated materials, continental breakfasts, group luncheon and reception. Travel, lodging and other meals are the responsibility of individual participants.
The institute will be held at the Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel & Conference Center at Capitol Hill. For reservations, please click the link below.
Past Conference Info
The 47th Annual Alabama County Government Institute was held on June 28-29, 2017 at the Legends at Capitol Hill in Prattville, Alabama.
The 46th Annual Alabama County Government Institute was held on June 23-24, 2016 at the Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National.
Slides from the 2016 Conference
- Alabama Rural Health Care Issues and Challenges by Dale E. Quinney
- Alabama Taxes Are They Adequate Fair and Reliable by Dr. Samuel Addy
- Economic Development Panel Chambers County by Valerie Gray
- Economic Development Panel EDPA
- Economic Essentials by Joe A. Sumners
- Economic Vitality Deliberative Forum by Ted Abernathy
Last Updated: June 15, 2018