On-Campus Student Employment

On-Campus Student Employment is one of the four classification types of student employment. To be eligible to work on-campus as a student employee, an individual must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Enrolled and taking classes during the semester they are employed; or

  • Not enrolled in classes for the semester of employment, but was enrolled in the previous semester and will be enrolled and have a class schedule for the following semester (this includes the summer semester).

New Auburn University Students

Newly enrolled students may begin work as an on-campus student employee as early as one week prior to the first day of classes.

If it is necessary for the individual to begin employment on an earlier date the employing department, instead, must hire the individual as a Temporary Employment Services (TES) employee and transition him/her to a student employee position at the appropriate time.

Auburn University Graduates

Following graduation, student employees become ineligible for on-campus student employment jobs immediately after the date of commencement.

If a department wishes to continue employing a student post-graduation, the department may do so via TES.

International Students

International students are eligible to hold on-campus student employment positions per the terms of their visa.

International students should be aware of their visa status to ensure compliance. For questions regarding visa terms and/or work restrictions please contact the Office of International Programs at (334) 844-5001 or email intledu@auburn.edu.

Auburn Montgomery (AUM) Students

Auburn Montgomery (AUM) students fall under requirements of a student employee and therefore should not be hired as a TES employee.

Please follow the instructions on the Hiring Checklist – New Hire Student Employment for hiring of AUM students. Please contact the Student & Temporary Employment Unit with questions regarding this matter at (334) 844-1671.

Other Classification Types Not Under Weagle Workers 

Off-Campus Student Employment

For information on obtaining employment opportunities off-campus, with a non-Auburn University business/company contact:

Career Services & Cooperative Education

303 Martin Hall

Auburn University, AL 36849

(334) 844-4744

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.

Drop-In Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Federal Work Study Student Employment 

Federal Work Study provides job opportunities for students who demonstrate a financial need to assist with paying for educational expenses. 

For information on obtaining a Federal Work Study job or employing a Federal Work Study student, contact:

Student Financial Services

203 Mary Martin Hall

Auburn University, AL 36849

(334) 844-4634

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. 

Graduate Assistantship

Graduate Assistants receive financial support for graduate-level study by contributing to the teaching and/or research mission of Auburn University.

For information on obtaining a graduate assistantship or employing a graduate assistant, contact:

Graduate School

106B Hargis Hall

Auburn University, AL 36849

(334) 844-4700

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.-11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m.-4:45 p.m.

Required Hiring Documents

Students must complete appropriate hiring documents after receiving an employment offer. For a list of required documents, refer to the Student Hiring Checklist.

Last updated: 02/17/2023