Health Insurance


Auburn University has a self-insured group health insurance program for eligible full-time employees with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama acting as administrator for the processing of medical claims and American Behavioral providing mental health and substance abuse coverage.

Below is a brief summary of the health insurance benefits.


  • Active full-time, non-student employees are eligible if the most recent appointment period is continuous for a minimum of one year (nine or twelve months as appropriate to the appointment).

  • Auburn University also offers health insurance to all employees who work an average of 30 or more hours per week over a measurement period. Student employees and part-time employees who are not benefits eligible, but work an average of 30 hours or more weekly (1,560 hours/year) during a 12-month period, will be ACA-eligible for the Auburn University Health Plan. 

  • In addition, newly-hired part-time employees who are reasonably expected to work 30 hours a week for the first 90 days of part-time employment will be ACA-eligible for the Auburn University Health Plan.

  • Participation in the program is optional.

  • There is no waiting period for pre-existing conditions.


  • New employees must enroll within 30 days of the date of beginning full-time employment.

  • Other eligible full-time employees may apply for enrollment during the annual open enrollment period in the month of November.

Premium Costs

Auburn University contributes a portion of the bi-weekly or monthly premium. The employee's share is deducted from his/her paycheck and is exempt from Federal, State, and FICA/Medicare taxes.

Salary Under $27,300 (Effective Jan. 1, 2021)

Pay ID Self EE+Sp EE+Ch Family
Biweekly $52.48 $118.40 $99.72 $137.32
Monthly $113.72 $256.54 $216.05 $297.52
18-Pay $75.81 $171.03 $144.03 $198.35

Salary Under $27,300 to $40,799 (Effective Jan. 1, 2021)

Pay ID Self EE+Sp EE+Ch Family
Biweekly $78.72 $177.60 $149.57 $205.98
Monthly $170.55 $384.81 $324.06 $446.28
18-Pay $113.70 $256.54 $216.04 $297.52

Salary Equal to/Above $40,800 (Effective Jan. 1, 2021)

Pay ID Self EE+Sp EE+Ch Family
Biweekly $104.96 $236.81 $199.42 $274.62
Monthly $227.41 $513.08 $432.07 $595.02
18-Pay $151.61 $342.05 $288.05 $396.68
  • Self = Employee Only

  • EE + Sp = Employee plus Spouse (or Sponsored Adult Dependent)

  • EE + Ch = Employee plus Child(ren) (including Sponsored Child Dependents)

  • Family = Employee plus Spouse (or Sponsored Adult Dependent) and any enrolled Child(ren) (including Sponsored Child Dependents). 

All premium deductions are on a pre-tax basis except where not permitted by State and/or Federal regulations for Sponsored Adult and/or Sponsored Child Dependents.

Employee Assistance, Mental Health and Substance Abuse

Mental Health and Substance Abuse Handbook

Summary of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Benefits

New Member Portal Now Available!

All American Behavioral members now have full access to their EAP and Mental Health and Substance Abuse benefit information online. 

This newly added feature provides on-demand access to: 

  • View authorizations,

  • View claims,

  • View pending requests,

  • Request EAP authorizations,

  • Submit claims for reimbursement,

  • View Explanation of Benefits (EOB’s),

  • View coverage and benefits,

  • View benefits in detail,

  • View out-of-pocket payments,

  • Find a Behavioral Health Provider,

  • Change information, and

  • Track requests.

How to register

  • Register your account for the first time here.

  • Select American Behavioral as the Medical Group.

  • Locate your most recent EOB for your Member ID Number, or please contact us to retrieve it by calling 800-925-5325 or by email.

Member Portal Flyer (Download)

Reimbursement Form

Employee Assistance Program

INFORMATION VIDEO: "Employee Assistance Program and Behavioral Healthcare Benefit" (Presented by Nadia Wilder, American Behavioral, 11 minutes)

Auburn University's Employee Assistance Program is administered through American Behavioral and is available to all benefit-eligible employees with up to six free visits per year during the COVID-19 pandemic.

An EAP program is a confidential assessment, counseling, and referral service for all regular employees and their eligible dependents who need help with:

  • Marital and family issues.

  • Alcohol and other drug dependency.

  • Stress-related issues.

  • Financial/legal referrals.

  • Emotional problems.

An EAP counselor can help identify problems and assist in working through them. The counselor can also determine the best alternatives and, if necessary, make appropriate referrals to other professionals who specialize in particular areas. The program is:

  • Confidential: All information is kept strictly between the individual and the counselor.

  • Informal: A simple phone call starts the process.

  • Free: All counseling offered within the EAP is provided as a benefit by Auburn University.

For additional information, call 1 (800) 925-5EAP (5327).

Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment

Mental health and substance abuse treatment are available only to employees, dependents, and retirees covered under the Auburn Medical Plan. For more information, call (800) 925-5EAP (5327)


  • Number of days determined by medical necessity.

  • Co-pay same as medical plan.


  • Number of visits determined by medical necessity.

  • Co-pay same as medical plan.

Summary of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Benefits

Effective January 1, 2021

Summary Document #: 559777215382

Important Information: All benefits are based on the appropriate level of care and medical necessity guidelines. Provider/facility licensure by the state to provide covered services and facility accreditation by The Joint Commission or CARF is required.

Calendar Year Deductible: $500 per person per year With a three-member family maximum

Calendar Year Out-of-Pocket Maximum: $8,150 individual/$16.300 aggregate family maximum

Additional information

Transition of Care

Printable version and Provider Nomination/Addition Form

For transition of care, American Behavioral offers one to three visits based on the intensity of services and the severity of the patient’s illness for those individuals currently receiving clinical behavioral healthcare treatment. Please assist American Behavioral in easing transition of care for you or your family members by doing the following:

  • Have your current providers direct all requests for inpatient partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient reviews to American Behavioral.

  • The Provider Nomination/Addition Form that is referenced above is important, even for those not currently receiving services, as American Behavioral uses the completed forms in an effort to create a personalized provider network for the University. Fax or mail completed forms to the number or address that is listed on the form.

  • Outpatient visits require an authorization. Please contact American Behavioral via the telephone numbers on the form.


The National Alliance on Mental Health of East Alabama will host an eight-week educational program, “Family-to-Family.”

This is a peer-led group for family members of adults with a mental illness. Sessions will be held each Monday from Aug. 23-Oct. 18, from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Auburn United Methodist Church, room A-113.

To register or for more information, call 334-444-4032 or 334-591-0196. There is no cost and a light meal will be served.

Tobacco Discount

  • All Auburn University employees who are enrolled in the health insurance plan receive a $20 per month tobacco discount by certifying that they (and their spouse/sponsored adult dependent, if applicable) are not tobacco users.

  • Employees must certify their tobacco use status to Human Resources to qualify for the discount. (An employee only has to certify once. Re-certification is not required.)

  • As an alternative, the employee and/or spouse/sponsored adult dependent may complete the Pack It Up program, which is available through the Auburn University Pharmaceutical Care Center, to qualify for the discount. Contact the AUPCC at (334) 844-8348 for more information.

Baby Yourself Program

If you or your spouse are pregnant, Baby Yourself offers individual care by a registered nurse. Please call BCBS nurses at 1-800-222-4379 (or 733-7065 in Birmingham) as soon as you find out you are pregnant. Begin care for you and your baby as early as possible and continue throughout your pregnancy. Your baby has the best chance for a healthy start by early, thorough care while you are pregnant. If you fall into one of the following risk categories, please tell your doctor and your Baby Yourself nurse:
  • Ages 35 or older.

  • High blood pressure.

  • Diabetes.

  • History of previous premature births.

  • Multiple births. (twins, triplets, etc.)

Auburn University will waive the $300 inpatient hospital deductible and calendar year deductible (or remainder of deductible at time of admission) through the end of the calendar year for members, spouses, and dependents who enroll in Baby Yourself during the first 16 weeks of pregnancy.

International Travel

If you are traveling outside of the United States and are a participant in the Auburn University Health Plan, you carry your healthcare benefits with you through Blue Cross and Blue Shield Global. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama partners with the other Blues to provide this service for you and the covered members of your family at no additional charge. This resource, BCBS Global Core, provides instructions for accessing your medical care while traveling internationally.

International Travel - University Business

If you are traveling outside the United States on University business you will need to complete the Banner RAT50 on-line form in AU Access> Employee>self serve> RAT50.

Upon completion of the RAT50, with all approvals, you will be enrolled in the AU International Travel Emergency Plan with CISI/ AXA Assist and will be sent a CISI welcome package via email.  Please follow the directions and download the CISI Traveler app.  This app will contain your insurance card, benefits and claim info.  If you have any questions, please email the insurance coordinators at Dependents (spouse, children) who travel with you, can also be enrolled in this insurance by completing the Banner RAT50 dependent form.  Additional information       .

Travel Assistance (Domestic and International)

Standard Insurance, our provider for Group Life Insurance and Optional Voluntary Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D), also provides Travel Assistance to all employees who are covered by the Group Life Insurance. For additional information please visit

Continuation of Coverage

Continuation of your group health benefits as provided by the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 is available for employees, spouses, and dependents after certain qualifying events occur. Additional information including cost and application for applying for coverage is available online.
Family Medical Leave Act

Employees approved for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act will be permitted to continue their group health insurance coverage with no change in premium in accordance with the University's policy and procedures.

Termination of Coverage

  • Upon termination of employment an employee and his/her dependents will be covered for the time period for which his/her last premium was deducted. Coverage shall cease automatically and without notice unless coverage is continued under COBRA.

  • The coverage of the spouse of an employee shall terminate automatically and without notice as of the date of divorce or other termination of the marriage, and on such date the spouse shall cease to be a member unless coverage is continued under COBRA.

  • The coverage of a child as a member shall terminate automatically and without notice as of the date such child ceases to be dependent unless coverage is continued under COBRA. 

Last updated: 11/18/2021