Auburn University Health Insurance Plans:
2018 Changes, Enrollment Information at a Glance
Premium Changes for 2018Auburn University offers a self-insured group health insurance plan with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama (BCBSAL) acting as the administrator for processing medical claims, and American Behavioral providing mental health and substance abuse coverage. Through the plan, eligible Auburn University employees and their eligible dependents receive quality medical and pharmaceutical coverage. Each year, many health plans, including the plan offered by Auburn University, incur increased costs. In 2018, expenditures (medical, pharmaceutical, and mental health) are projected to top $58 million, which is an increase of $6 million from 2017:
|2017||$37 million||$14.2 million||$1 million||$52.2 million|
|2018||$41.6 million||$15.4 million||$1.1 million||$58.1 million|
|Difference||$4.6 million||$1.2 million||$100,000||$5.9 million|
Healthy Tigers can save you up to $600 in 2018IMPORTANT CHANGE! In 2018, you can receive a Healthy Tigers annual discount of up to $600 if you and your spouse/sponsored adult dependent (SAD) both participate in the Healthy Tigers screening program and complete all program requirements ($300 for the employee and $300 for the spouse/SAD). Participation and compliance in the Healthy Tigers Program will lessen the impact of the premium rate increase for you and your covered dependents! As of now, there is no set deadline for qualifying for the Healthy Tigers program. An individual who is screened during any given month will qualify for the discount for the remainder of that calendar year (after allowing up to 60 days for processing) and for the following calendar year. Test results must be conducted and any required follow-up must be completed (if results are abnormal) to qualify for the benefit. Information about this benefit is posted at www.auburn.edu/healthytigers. Appointments are coordinated by the Auburn University Pharmaceutical Care Center (AUPCC) located in 2155 Walker Building, Harrison School of Pharmacy and may be scheduled online through the Healthy Tigers website. Those who do not have internet access may call the AUPCC at 334-844-4099.
Special note for employees with a spouse who also works for Auburn:During Open Enrollment, if the health insurance subscriber for your family changes (with the other being covered as a dependent), please contact the Healthy Tigers program at email@example.com to ensure your Healthy Tigers discount is applied correctly.
Other Plan Changes for 2018Effective January 1, 2018, Auburn University has elected to offer an autism benefit for eligible children age 18 and under who have a diagnosis of autism and who meet certain clinical criteria. The annual maximum coverage allowed in 2018 for this benefit will vary based on the child's age:
- Ages 0-9: $20,000 maximum coverage amount allowed for 2018
- Ages 10-13: $15,000 maximum coverage amount allowed for 2018
- Ages 14-18: $10,000 maximum coverage amount allowed for 2018
- Physician Co-Pays for Emergency Room: From $30 to $50 (per occurrence)
- Emergency Room Facility Fee: From $150 to $200 (per occurrence, including accidental injury visits. If the patient is admitted for inpatient services through the Emergency Room, the patient will only be charged the hospital admission co-pay of $200)
- Outpatient Services (i.e. surgeries): From $100 to $200 (per occurrence)
- Hospital Admission: From $100 to $200 (per occurrence)
- Tier 1: No co-pay at AU Employee Pharmacy, $10 at In-Network pharmacies, and $25 at CVS/Target pharmacies
- Tier 2: $10 co-pay at AU Employee Pharmacy, $20 at In-Network pharmacies, and $35 at CVS/Target pharmacies
- Tier 3: $50 at AU Employee Pharmacy, $50 at In-Network pharmacies, and $65 at CVS/Target pharmacies
- Tier 4: $80 co-pay at AU Employee Pharmacy, $80 at In-Network pharmacies, and $95 at CVS/Target pharmacies
- Tier 5: $120 co-pay at AU Employee Pharmacy, $120 at In-Network pharmacies, and $135 at CVS/Target pharmacies
Tobacco-Free DiscountIf you are enrolled in the health insurance plan, you can receive a $20 per month tobacco-free discount by certifying that you (and your spouse/sponsored adult dependent, if applicable) are not tobacco users. (Health insurance premiums shown in the Benefits-at-a-Glance already reflect the tobacco discount.) You must certify your tobacco use status to Human Resources to qualify for the discount, though you do not have to recertify every year. As an alternative, you and your spouse/sponsored adult dependent may complete the Pack It Up Program that is available through the AUPCC to qualify for the discount. For more information call 844-4099.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)The amount that can be deferred into an FSA Medical Spending Account for 2018 is $2,600 (the Dependent Care Spending Account limit will remain at $5,000). Remember that Auburn University offers a Carryover Provision, allowing you to carry over up to $500 of unused Medical Spending Account funds into the next plan year. Additional information about this continuing plan feature is included in this packet. You can enroll by completing and submitting the enrollment form, which is also included in the mailed Open Enrollment material, or you may enroll online via Self Service Banner (SSB). Instructions for online enrollment via Self Service Banner (SSB) follow.
From the AU home page:
- Click on "AU Access"; Sign on with your user name and password.
- Select the "Employee Services" tab.
- Click on "Self Service Banner."
- From Employee Tab click on "Flexible Spending Account Plan Open Enrollment".
- Complete the online enrollment process (Please double-check to ensure you are entering the annual amount, and not the per paycheck amount, that you are electing).
- Click on "Submit."
- Health insurance co-pays at in-network preferred providers will remain the same in 2018. Office visits at primary care physicians, urgent care, mental health, and substance abuse practitioners are $30; and specialist office visits are $35.
- There will be no premium increases for the dental, vision, cancer, and life insurance plans for 2018. For more information on dental insurance, which is administered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama, and vision insurance, which is provided by Superior Vision, visit http://www.auburn.edu/payroll. For additional information on cancer, supplemental life, and disability insurances, contact Johnson+Sterling at 887-5533.
- Human Resources will host the Employee Benefits Fair on November 16, 2017, from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the Recreation and Wellness Center. Additional information about the fair will be distributed soon.
- An Employee Benefits Fair will also be held on the AUM campus on November 14, 2017, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Taylor Center, Rooms 222 and 223.
- Auburn University Human Resources is available weekdays from 7:45 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. and can be reached at 844-4145 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information is also available at www.auburn.edu/benefits.
Enrollment Questions and Answers
How do I learn additional information about cancer insurance?Representatives from Colonial Life will be available to discuss cancer insurance on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, Nov. 2: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Assessment Room (1550 E. Glenn Ave.), 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 3: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Assessment Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 8: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Assessment Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 9: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Conference Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14: AUM Benefits Fair, Taylor Center, 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 15: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Assessment Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 16: Auburn University Benefits Fair, Recreation and Wellness Center, 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 29: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Assessment Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 30: East Glenn Administrative Complex - HR Conference Room, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 30: AUM Library Tower Conference Room, 9th Floor, 9 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
If I want to enroll in a new plan or change my coverage, what do I need to do?New enrollment requires completion of an application and a salary reduction agreement which can be found below or by contacting Human Resources. Documentation substantiating eligibility will be required when adding dependents to insurance plans. Completed forms along with supporting documentation must be returned to Human Resources or to AUM Human Resources no later than 4:45 p.m. on Nov. 30, 2017. No applications will be accepted after this deadline. Human Resources is located in the Auburn University Administrative Complex at 1550 East Glenn Avenue, and AUM Human Resources is located at Taylor Center, Room 304. The forms can also be placed in the drop box at the front of Auburn University Administrative Complex, or at the third floor of Ingram Hall, with Payment and Procurement Services, no later than 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017. Open Enrollment forms are available online:
- Health Plan Enrollment Application
- Dental Plan Enrollment Application
- Vision Plan Enrollment Application
- Salary Reduction Agreement
- Dependent Eligibility Information
What if I miss the November 30, 2017 enrollment deadline?All premiums for health, dental, vision and cancer insurance and contributions to the FSA plans are payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis under a S125 Cafeteria Benefit Plan. As a result, the Internal Revenue Service requires a predetermined enrollment period, and we cannot allow any enrollments or election changes past this stated time and date. If you miss the enrollment deadline, you will not be able to make any changes to your elections until Open Enrollment in November 2018 unless you have a qualifying change in family status and notify us within 45 days of that event.
How do I get more information about my benefits and any related changes?Human Resources will host the Employee Benefits Fair on November 16, 2017, from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the Recreation and Wellness Center. Additional information about the fair will be distributed soon. An Employee Benefits Fair will also be held on the AUM campus on November 14, 2017, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Taylor Center, Rooms 222 and 223.
Whom should I contact if I have additional questions?Auburn University Human Resources is available weekdays from 7:45 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. and can be reached at 844-4145 or email at email@example.com. Additional information is also available at www.auburn.edu/benefits.
Auburn University is committed to providing a comprehensive and affordable benefits package that meets the needs of you and your family.