A.B. Honors - University of Chicago
M.S. - University of Wisconsin
Ph.D. - University of Wisconsin
Postdoc - University of Wisconsin and University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Postdoc)
Postdoc - Medical College of Virginia (CFF Postdoc and NIH Postdoc Trainee)
Research and Teaching Interests
Physiology and genetics of bacterial pathogens, bacterial stress response, development of biosensors for realtime detection of pathogens, discovery of antibiotics, bacteriophage genetics, and metabolic engineering of bacteria for value-added products
- Zeng, Y., X. P. Hu, and S.-J. Suh. 2016. Characterization of antibacterial activities of eastern subterranean termite Reticuliterme flavipes against human pathogens. PLoS ONE 11(9): e0162249. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162249.
- Suh, S.-J., Shuman, J., Carroll, and Silo-Suh, L. 2016. BEEP: An assay to Bioenergetic and Envelope Permeability mutants in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J. Microbiol. Methods. 125: 81-86.
- Horikawa, S., I-H. Chen, S. Du, Y. Liu, H. Wikle, S.-J. Suh, J. M. Barbaree, and B. A. Chin. 2016. Method for detection of a few pathogenic bacteria and determination of live versus dead cells. Proceedings for SPIE 9864, Sensing for Agriculture and Food Quality and Safety VIII, 98640H.
- Aly, S, D. Boothe, and S.-J. Suh. 2015. A novel alanine to serine substitution mutation in SoxS induces overexpression of efflux pumps and contributes to multidrug resistance in clinical Escherichia coli isolates. J. Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 70 (8): 2228-2233.
- Horikawa, S., Y. Chai, H. Wikle, S.-J. Suh, J. M. Barbaree, and B. A. Chin. 2015. Direct detection of Salmonella on fresh produce. ECS Transactions 69, 25-31.
- Silo-Suh, L. A., Suh, S. J., Ohman, D. E., Wozniak, D. J., & Pridgeon, J. W. (2015). Complete genome sequence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa mucoid strain FRD1, isolated from a cystic fibrosis patient. Genome Announcements, 3(2), e00153-15.
- Dai, J., Suh, S. J., Hamon, M., & Hong, J. W. (2015). Determination of antibiotic EC50 using a zero‐flow microfluidic chip based growth phenotype assay. Biotechnology Journal, 10(11), 1783-1791.
- Horikawa, S., Y. Chai, H. Wikle, J. Dai, J, Hu, S.-J. Suh, V. Vodyanoy, and B. A. Chin. Nature-inspired magnetoelastic biosentinels for the detection of pathogenic bacteria in stagnant liquids. 2015. Proc. SPIE 9488, Sensing for Agriculture and Food Quality and Safety VII, 94880C. May, Baltimore, MD. doi: 10.1117/12.2087766
- Prakash, D., Wu, Y., Suh, S. J., & Duin, E. C. (2014). Elucidating the process of activation of methyl-coenzyme M reductase. Journal of Bacteriology, 196(13), 2491-2498.
- Zeng, Y., X. P. Hu, X.-Q. Yu, and S.-J. Suh. 2014. Multiple antibacterial activities of proteinaceous compounds in crude extract from the eastern subterranean termite, Reticulitermes flavipes Kollar (Blattodea: Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Advances in Research 2 (8): 455-461.