Auburn University was established as East Alabama Male College in 1856 and it would be another 75 years before the first type of student housing would be constructed. While still known as Alabama Polytechnic Institute (API), the first early housing consisted of boarding houses and barracks for male students who were studying and training in mechanics and engineering for both World Wars that occurred. As the University gradually began to change focus away from military instruction to more of an academic institution, the name would officially become Auburn University and would began to replace and construct new housing arrangements for the modern student body.
While the University continues to evolve to better meet students’ needs, so does the department of Housing and Residence Life. The original two residence halls constructed in 1925 have been replaced with currently 32 residence halls across five areas of campus that 4,800 residents call home.
Keeping with tradition at Auburn University, we ensure and oversee the practice of having our Panhellenic sororities live on campus with their individual halls and chapter rooms. Additionally, we also provided specific residence halls for all of our Honors College residents and still provided gender separated buildings in each area. All of our residential buildings have been renovated and provide up-to-date amenities for our 21st century students who live with us on campus. Auburn University Housing and Resident Life is currently under the direction of Dr. Kevin Hoult who has been with us since 2015. Dr. Hoult consistently ensures that our students feel at home from the time they move in during August until the time they complete their degrees and join the Auburn Alumni community.
To learn more about our on campus housing community, tours of our buildings and rooms, or programs and activities for our residents, please visit our website, call (334) 844-4580, or email email@example.com.