Social Security Information

Auburn University sponsored non-immigrant students or scholars must have a letter from the Office of International Programs verifying their status and eligibility to apply for a U.S. Social Security number. Please read the following instructions, and if you are eligible for a Social Security number, complete the appropriate forms.

All AU F-1 students wishing to receive a Social Security number or replacement Social Security card must demonstrate proof of authorized on-campus employment.

  • Please bring a letter of employment or offer of employment from the on-campus employer to the Office of International Programs.
  • The employer must use the format linked below for the letter.
  • This letter must be on the employer's letterhead.
  • The Office of International Programs then will prepare a letter for the student to take to the Social Security Administration office.
  • Questions? Please email with the subject line reading: Social Security letters.

Please use the links on the right to review instructions circulated by the Social Security Administration regarding the rule stating all F-1 students must have offeers of employment prior ot securing a social security number.

Last Updated: May 20, 2013