Applying for a Visa

International Student and Scholar Services will process an I-20 or DS-2019 (your U.S. DHS Certificates of Eligibility) needed for visa applications after you have been formally admitted to Auburn. For undergraduate students ISSS normally receives and processes the admissions paperwork needed to create these documents approximately a week after you have received your admission notification. For graduate students, this occurs approximately two weeks after you have been fully accepted by the Graduate School. If you have a question, email INTLEDU@AUBURN.EDU and include your passport name, application date, birth date and application number (if you have one) in the email.

If You Are ...

Be sure to submit a clear copy of your photo and data page from your passport with your admission application to the appropriate admissions office.

You should submit a Status Verification Form for ISSS to certify you are in valid immigration status in the U.S. and to produce an I-20/DS-2019 for you. The I-20/DS-2019 document can be picked up when you report to Auburn for registration and orientation.

You should submit a Status Verification Form as well as make sure your previous school transfers your SEVIS record to Auburn. Once this is done, ISSS will produce an I-20/DS-2019 for you and, following verification of your travel plans, will send you the documents so you can enter the U.S. on the Auburn documents, thereby completing a transfer via travel. If you enter the US on the previous school's documents, you will be unable to transfer to Auburn and will be required to report in to the school under whose documents you entered the U.S. If you have questions about this process, email ISSS at INTLEDU@AUBURN.EDU with details of your plans.

You should let ISSS know this because you will need your Auburn SEVIS documents to renew your visa. If you try to use your old school's documents or get a new visa with the previous school's documents, you will not be able to enter the U.S. using the Auburn documents. You must use the Auburn documents to renew your visa if you intend to enter the U.S. and attend Auburn following entry.

A U.S. DHS SEVIS FEE is required for a student entering the U.S. from abroad with a new or renewed visa for the first time. It is also required for a student returning to the U.S. following completion of a U.S. degree program (not transferring from the previous school) or for reinstatement for travel purposes due to falling out of status during a previous stay. You must pay the fee prior to your visa appointment if you are applying for a new U.S. visa or prior to entry into the U.S. if your visa is still valid.

Last Updated: October 25, 2023