Last updated on Oct 8, 2014.
Dr. Tin-Yau Tam (譚天祐)
Chair and Lloyd and Sandra Nix Professor in Mathematics
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Phone: (334) 844-6572
Fax: (334) 844-6555
Publication reviews in MathSciNet
Placement Test 2014,
OIRA, AU Minimum Class Size Guidelines,
AP IB credit transfer,
Grade change instruction,
COSAM Leadership Council,
Course Inventory Management (CIM),
Photos to share
baby deer 1,
baby deer 2
Research interests: Matrix theory and
Lie groups/algebras, Multilinear algebra, Numerical range, Operator theory and their applications.
I am on the editorial broad of
I am a reviewer of
- Organizer (with Natalia Bebiano) of the ILAS 2014 Minisymposium "Inequalities in Matrix, Operators, and Lie Groups", Seoul, South Korea, August 6-8, 2014.
- Organizing (Scientific) Committee of Karatekin Mathematics Days, Turkey, June 11-13, 2014.
- Organizing (Scientific) Committee of 2013 Shanghai International Conference on Matrix Analysis and Applications (SICMAA2013), Shanghai, China, December 27-29, 2013, in honor of the 80th birthday of Professor Er-xiong Jiang.
- Organizing Committee 4th International Conference on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Konya, Turkey, July 2-5, 2013.
- the 18th ILAS meeting, Providence, RI, USA, June 3-7, 2013.
I also served on the Board of Directors of the International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS) 2010-2013.
Plenary speaker of
ILAS 2014 which is one of the main satellite conferences of ICM 2014 at COEX, Seoul, KOREA.
Where are my PhD graduates/students:
- Sima Ahsani (Ph.D. student, 2012-present)
- Mary Clair Thompson (Ph.D. student, 2010-present).
- Zachary Savery (Ph.D. student, 2010-present).
- Xuhua Liu (Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2012), Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee in Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA.
- Wen Yan (Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2005), Associate Professor, Tuskegee University, Alabama, USA.
- Charles Dolberry (Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2002), Associate Professor, School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences, University of Arkansas-Monticello, Arkansa, USA.
- William Chris Hill (Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2001), Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, Middle Georgia State College, Georgia, USA.
Auburn graduate students who want to take Linear Algebra preliminary exam may find
Matrices I & II useful.
Some mathematical websites:
Tex mathematical symbols
Linear and Multilinear Algebra
Journal of Linear Algebra and
American Mathematical Society
AMS Mathematics Subject Classification
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics