- Service Learning Training – The Office of Public Service is hosting a training session to introduce AuburnServes’ new website. Join us Tuesday, February 25, 2014, from 10:00 a.m. until noon, at the Auburn Chamber of Commerce. This is an excellent opportunity for Auburn faculty and staff to learn how easy it is to communicate with service providers in the community using the new and improved AuburnServes website. All Auburn faculty and staff are welcome to attend. To reserve a seat contact Joyce Thomas-Vinson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Raise the Dough Challenge – From February 21-28, the Campus Kitchen at Auburn University is competing against Campus Kitchens at other institutions across the country in the Raise the Dough Challenge. The school that raises the most money will receive $1,000 to go toward their local efforts. With that funding, we would be able to build long-term solutions to hunger and food waste, and we’re reaching out to YOU to help us win! You can help by:
- Donating $10 or any desired amount by clicking here
- Sharing this with friends via social media
- Asking three friends to commit a $10 donation each (The school with the highest number of donors will win $750!)
Your support is greatly appreciated!
- 2014 Award for Excellence in Faculty Outreach–The Office of the Vice President for University Outreach is the proud sponsor of the annual Auburn University Award for Excellence in Faculty Outreach. The award, and a $5,000 honorarium, will be presented to one exceptional Auburn faculty member. Nomination deadline is Monday, March 3, 2014, at 4:00 p.m
- Extraordinary Women Lecture: Gloria Steinem – University Outreach is a proud co-sponsor of the Extraordinary Women Lecture by Ms. Gloria Steinem which will be held on Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 4:00 p.m., at the Hotel at Auburn University. A book signing will follow the lecture. This lecture is unticketed, and free and open to the public. Seats are first come, first seated, so get there early!
- Registration is now open for the 2014 Outreach Scholarship Symposium!
- Community Partner Training – Community Partners are invited to join us for a training session on February 5, 2014 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Auburn Chamber of Commerce. This training session will focus on grant writing. Juanita M. Winegar, Contracts & Grants Specialist III, Alabama Cooperative Extension System will be the speaker.
- Auburn faculty, staff and students contribute to Encyclopedia of Alabama content
- University Outreach Helps Fund Summer Science Institute.
- Auburn University launches distance and continuing education program website.
- Deadline for Outreach Scholarship Symposium Proposal Submission – The deadline to submit a proposal for the 2014 Outreach Scholarship Symposium is January 21, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.
- “Honoring the Past, Charting the Future” Luncheon – The “Honoring the Past, Charting the Future” luncheon commemorating and recognizing integration at Auburn University will be January 21, 2014 at 11:45 am in Ballroom A at The Hotel at Auburn University. Honored guests will include Dr. Harold A. Franklin, Dr. Samuel Pettijohn, Mr. Willie Wyatt, and Mr. Anthony Lee. The Auburn University Gospel Choir will perform and educator and Affrilachian poet, Frank X. Walker will be the keynote speaker.
- This Martin Luther King Day, January 20, 2014, celebrate a "Day On Not a Day Off" by giving back with one of these volunteer opportunities. We encourage everyone to make this holiday wholesome and rewarding for all!
- Lee County Humane Society
Volunteers needed to feed animals, play with cats and dogs, clean kennels, bath the pets and greet potential adopters. Volunteers are asked to sign up online and find available shifts on Monday at leecountyhumane.org.
- CAMP (Central Alabama Mountain Peddlers)
CAMP promotes health, wellness and education by developing, maintaining and riding sustainable multi-use trails. Volunteers are needed at Chewacla Park at 10:00 am to help build trails, park cleanup and trail maintenance. Volunteers feel free to bring your bike. Close toed shoes are required. Pants, long sleeves, boots, and work gloves are highly recommended. For more information go to camp-sorba.org or contact them at email@example.com.
- Alabama Rural Ministry
ARM reaches out communities most in need to fight poverty and promote community through righteous volunteer efforts. Join ARM for their MLK Service Day from 8:00am to 3:00pm to perform much needed local home repair, child care services, nursing home activities and other community projects. For more information and to sign up go to http://www.arm-al.org/waystoserve/year-round-ministry/mlk/.
- Jean Dean Reading Is Fundamental
JEAN DEAN's mission is to put quality, age-appropriate books into the hands and homes of at-risk young children before they start kindergarten. Volunteers will be appreciated on Monday from 9am-noon and 1pm-5pm. Volunteers should email to confirm what time they're coming at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lee County Humane Society
- The Office of Public Service will host the Spring Volunteer Fair on January 17, 2014, from 10 AM - 12 PM in the Auburn University Student Center (2nd Floor).
- The 2014 Outreach Scholarship Symposium is scheduled for February 10 & 11, 2014 at the Auburn University Student Center.
- Applications for the position of Director of K-12 Outreach being accepted. This position is a non-tenured track faculty position.
- Francesca Adler-Baeder, a professor in the College of Human Sciences, recently received the Award for Excellence in Faculty Outreach at the 2013 Faculty Awards.
- 2013 House United Building Project – House United is a joint project between Auburn University, Habitat for Humanity and the University of Alabama. Ten students from each school will work together on a building project, December 15-18, 2013 in Lee County, Alabama.
- The Spring 2013 issue of the Beyond Auburn magazine is now available!
- Symposia presentation proposals and poster presentation proposals are now being accepted for the 2014 Outreach Scholarship Symposium.
- Registration is now open for "Become the Real Deal" Leadership Seminar taking place on November 14, 2013.
- Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants – The Office of the Vice President for University Outreach announces the 2013-2014 call for proposals for the Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants Program (COSG). Proposals for 2013-14 Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants program are due on Tuesday, November 5, 2013 by 4:45 p.m. CT via email at email@example.com
- Auburn Faculty, Staff, and Alumni Meet the President of Malawi in Montgomery.
- Promoting Your Non-Profit – The Office of Public Service for University Outreach will host a training session for community partners on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, from 10:00 a.m. to 12 Noon at the Auburn Chamber of Commerce, 714 E. Glenn Avenue. Dr. Waters, Assistant Professor in the School of Communication and Journalism, will cover the basics of creating strategic campaigns, programs or events. For more information contact Christopher Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Encyclopedia of Alabama recently received AU's first-ever Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Learn more about donating to EOA to help support this Grant.
- Encyclopedia of Alabama awarded National Humanities Challenge Grant
- Nan Fairley received the Award for Excellence in Faculty Outreach at the 2011 Faculty Awards held October 4, 2011.
- Summer 2012 Scheduling has begun. All requests for use of facilities for Summer 2012 should be made by September 30, 2011.
- Hope Stockton was recently named Director of OPCE in the Office of the Vice President for University Outreach
- The Summer 2011 issue of Beyond Auburn is now available
- The Office of University Outreach is seeking applicants for Editor of the Encyclopedia of Alabama (EOA). Deadline for applications is Sept. 9, 2011
- Auburn University named to President's Higher Education Community Service honor roll
- Thomas begins new role as director of faculty engagement
- APP Releases Directory of Alabama Tornado Relief Volunteer & Support Options
- University Outreach Receives Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Auburn University and Loachapoka schools to launch College Prep Initiative Monday, Aug. 29, at Loachapoka High School
Last Updated: March 4, 2014