AED events are open to any student interested in the health professions. However, many students choose to become members of AED. The Alabama Gamma Chapter at Auburn University includes the following types of members: active national members, officially tapped and initiated during the spring semester every year; associate members, who pay annual dues and are eligible for active national membership but cannot vote or hold office until initiated as active national members; active alumni members, who were initiated while in college and choose to become active in local chapter events; and honorary members, elected by the local chapter and approved by the National AED Officers.
- AED associate members are students interested in learning about careers in the health professions who have not yet been initiated as national members.
- There are NO requirements to become an associate member besides paying the required dues per year (currently $15 per year).
- 2016-2017 Associate Membership Application
National Membership Requirements
- The student must be taking courses leading to a career in the health professions.
- Character, general ability and personality must be considered carefully in the selection of every member.
- Members shall be elected without any discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, creed or national origin.
- The student shall be an associate member of AED when applying for active national membership.
- Must have been a pre-health student for at least 3 semesters, at Auburn University or another college.
- Must have at least a 3.2 cumulative, ungapped GPA and a 3.2 cumulative, ungapped BCPM GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math)
- Must have a record of attending at least 7 AED Meetings
- Must acquire at least 4 AED Service Points
REQUIREMENTS FOR RETAINING NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP
- Must have a record of attending at least 4 AED Meetings per school year
- Must acquire at least 3 AED Service Points per school year
- Nation members must submit a National Membership Renewal Application in the fall in order to remain in good standing. This application can be found on the Forms page.
Benefits of Membership
- Public recognition of outstanding pre-health scholarship.
- Opportunity to be part of a national group of students interested in professional health as a career.
- Publications of the Society are devoted to the interests of students in the health professions.
- Opportunity to participate in activities that promote interest in pre-professional health.
- Interaction with other chapter members throughout the United States.
- Participation in the national convention and meetings of the Society.
- Opportunity to establish and pursue contacts with health professionals.
- Pleasure and satisfaction of life-long membership in an active organization devoted to the education of pre-professional health students.
- Consideration for AED scholarships.