Consider the following Top-10 tips about the classroom:
- Attend the first day of class. Faculty members typically discuss the syllabus including course requirements, grading scales, and test dates.
- Attend class regularly and sit near the front of the class. Remember the teacher is not there to entertain you. You are there to learn. Cutting class is the first step to academic failure!!
- Try to develop a relationship with someone in the class with whom you can study.
- Try to get to know your professor.
- Be certain to turn off your cell phone/pager, etc
- Come to class prepared, and participate in class discussions. Be an active learner.
- Listen carefully and take organized notes.
- If you have questions about the material, seek help early by talking with your teacher during his/her office hours. This is a better strategy than asking questions before class when your professor’s mind is on the lecture he/she is about to deliver.
- If you still are hiving problems with the material seek additional help. (See Tutoring and Other Help)
- If you know you are going to be absent, notify your instructor in advance.
Last Updated: 06/07/2016