The goal is to foster participation of undergraduate students in research.
Fellowships for research for COSAM majors are available to students who are interested in performing undergraduate research. Fellowships of two types: (1) Year-long (beginning summer, ending in spring) (2) Academic-Year (beginning fall, ending in spring). Students who intend to work with faculty outside COSAM should contact Nancy Robinson, firstname.lastname@example.org before applying.
SEARCH FELLOWSHIP GUIDELINES
Applications for fellowships are available at the beginning of spring semester. Application deadline March 5, 2014. Announcements of awards will be made by mid to late March 2014.
The year-long fellowships will begin summer semester, 2014.
The academic-year fellowships will begin fall semester, 2014.
Students must have at least sophomore standing by the time they begin the program. Students must have time to complete the entire program before graduation.
A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 overall and in major is required to apply. In order to maintain the fellowship, a semester grade point average of 3.0 or better must be maintained.
Time Commitment for fellowship:
(1) Year-long Undergraduate Research Fellows during the summer semester will devote his/her full energies to the research, except that with the permission of the mentor one class related to the research can be taken. During the Fall and Spring semesters, the amount of time performing research should be equivalent to that required by a 3-hour undergraduate research course.
(2) Academic-year Undergraduate Research Fellows should enroll for 3 hours in an undergraduate research course in each of the two semesters.
To complete an application, please click on http://auburn.edu/undgres/Fellowship/studentApp.html.
(1) Year-long COSAM Undergraduate Research Fellows are required to give: (i) three oral presentations annually: one to the COSAM Leadership Council during the fall semester; one during the spring semester at the Auburn University Research Week; and a third at an appropriate conference (undergraduate research conference, or a conference in your field of study). (ii) A written description of the research for the webpage (half page) is expected.
(2) Academic-year COSAM Undergraduate Research Fellows are required to give an oral presentation in their department and apply to give a talk or present a poster at Auburn University Research Week.
Fellowship students will participate in informal gatherings throughout the fellowship year to discuss their research activities.
Renewal of fellowships:
A second-year fellowship is possible. The student must compete for the fellowship through the usual selection process. The first-year written report must be included in the application for a second-year fellowship.
Priority will be given to new applicants.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE MENTOR
Mentors should be faculty who are interested in guiding an undergraduate student and who, on a one-to-one basis, are committed to teaching the student how to perform research.
Faculty mentors are expected to spend a minimum of at least three hours per week during the summer (for the year-long fellows) and two hours per week with the fellow during each academic semester, and to teach the fellow the background knowledge and skills required to perform the research. The faculty mentor of a year-long fellow is expected to be available throughout the summer to provide research guidance and direction to the undergraduate fellow.
FELLOW SELECTION COMMITTEE
The committee is responsible for selecting and reviewing the progress of the undergraduate research fellows. This committee will be composed of the COSAM Associate Dean for Research and one Faculty member from each of the COSAM departments.
SUPPORT FOR THE PROGRAM
Dean and friends of the college are providing financial support for this program.
For more information contact:
Dr. Raymond Henry, 844-9226
(1) Year Long Fellowship URF:
(2) Academic Year URF: