COSAM’s Katy Crider is Auburn University’s Outstanding New Advisor of the Year
Katy Crider helps students in the College of Sciences and Mathematics (COSAM) plan their coursework and prepares them to meet their future goals. Crider was honored on February 6, 2019, as Auburn University’s Outstanding New Advisor of the Year.
“I am truly blessed to work with the best students and colleagues out there,” explained Crider.
Auburn University’s Outstanding New Advisor is a competitive process. Crider was selected from a pool of talented advisors throughout the university campus.
“Katy is an exceptional advisor that makes COSAM’s Office of Student Services extremely proud,” said Dr. Beth Yarbrough, director of Student Services.
Crider, an advisor since May 2016, has received outstanding scores on every single question in advising surveys. Her scores showcase students strongly agree with an array of factors in her ratings including knowledge, communication and satisfaction.
“Katy is the personification of what one looks for in a model academic advisor,” shared Dr. Jack Feminella, associate dean for academic affairs. “She is knowledgeable, responsive, and collegial, and is always 100 percent dedicated to student success. Katy is a natural-born advisor and we are extremely fortunate to have her in COSAM Student Services.”
Below are survey comments from COSAM students highlighting their experience with Katy and her role as an advisor:
- Mrs. Crider is such an amazing person to work with because she is so down to earth, genuine, and kind-hearted. No matter how stressed you are, she has a way of calming you down and putting everything into perspective while offering the best support and guidance possible. Whenever I meet with her, I always feel more at ease and confident in my decisions because of her help!
- Since having Mrs. Crider as my advisor she has encouraged me to better myself as a student and scientist. She's always been willing to talk with me about any COSAM questions I have and encouraged me to apply for opportunities like my internships and the research symposium. I appreciate everything she's done for me and that she is an advisor who genuinely cares about her students.
- Please, when I transferred to Auburn, I was lost, I mean I knew the classes I had to take but I never had the right guidance and Mrs. Katy helped me with that. She might be one of the best advisors at COSAM to others but to me she is the best. She reminds her students about registration times and the best path to take. Mrs. Katy went to Auburn therefore she also understands the hurdles of her students. Unlike some advisors that try to convince their students to pursue other majors because of one bad semester, Mrs. Katy encourages her students, being aware that University is hard and frustrating but that doesn't mean it is impossible. Her respect and understanding for her students and steering them the right way in their course of study for the best possible outcome is what I admire the most.
- I have worked closely with Mrs. Crider for only a short amount of time, however within that time, she has been nothing but encouraging and kind. Working with Mrs. Crider has been an absolute pleasure and I have appreciated any new ideas or advice that she presents to me. She truly cares for students immensely and would do anything in her power to advise them as needed.
- Mrs. Crider was more than an advisor to me during my time at Auburn. She was a listener, anytime I needed to talk about something whether it be school related or not, her door was always open and she always made herself available. She was an encourager, when I needed a little push she always genuinely believed in me. She always had my best interests in mind and I know even now after graduation she is still rooting for me!