This Is Auburn Office of the Provost
Office of the Provost > Academic Advising > Academic Policies FAQ

Academic Polices FAQ

Where can I find academic policies, academic requirements, and the official curriculum models for every degree?

The AU Bulletin contains the academic policies, academic requirements, and official curriculum models for all degree programs offered at Auburn University. It also contains a brief description of all classes Auburn offers.

What information is in the Student Policy eHandbook? Where can I find it?

The Student Policy eHandbook contains policies on academic affairs, student records, grades & schedules, financial services, information technology, parking & transit services, housing & residence life, student conduct, and campus safety.

How many hours do I have to take to be full time/part time?

You must be taking 12 hours or more to be considered a full-time student. Fewer than 12 hours is considered part-time, including hours in the summer.

How many hours do I have to have completed to be a Sophomore, Junior, Senior?

Sophomore...............30 hours and is in the 31st to 60th credit hour

Junior ......................60 hours and is in the 61st to 90th credit hour

Senior ......................90 hours and is in the 91st hour or higher.

How and when can I add/drop a class?
Through the fifth day of classes each fall and spring semester, students can attempt to add themselves to a course through AU Access. After the fifth class day, students who wish to add a course need to go directly to the relevant academic department with that request. The University allows each department the ability to add students to courses though the 15th day of classes. However, departments are allowed to determine their own "cut-off" day (up to the 15th class day) of adding students to courses. As a practical matter, if a student wishes to add a course, it is strongly recommended that he or she do so no later than the first day of the semester. Students may drop courses online through midterm of each respective term. During the first five days of the fall and spring terms, students may drop classes online without any academic or financial penalty. From the 6th through the 15th day of fall and spring terms, students will be assessed a $100 drop fee for each course they drop. After the 15th class day through midterm, students may drop online, but they will be charged tuition for the course and will receive a W on their transcript. After midterm a student may only be granted permission to drop a course in exceptional circumstances. If a student thinks that his or her circumstances warrant consideration for a late withdrawal, he or she should begin the process by meeting with his or her advisor. Final approval for such withdrawals is granted by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies. If a withdrawal after midterm is permitted, the instructor must sign the form and a grade of W or WF must be assigned. A drop after mid-term can result in the student receiving an academic penalty. See the section "Withdrawal from a Course" in the AU Bulletin.
What is the course drop fee?

A $100.00 per class fee is charged for classes students drop between the 6th and 15th class day of the fall and spring semester. For the summer term, the charge is assessed for classes dropped between the 3rd and 5th class day.

How do I drop a Learning Community class?

Learning Community students are required to stay in the learning community anchor course (First Year Seminar Course or Major Intro course with their community) and a minimum of one of the other learning community classes. Outside of these parameters students can drop a class on their own through Au Access. Students should be aware that they are required to remain in the anchor course to stay in the community. Dropping the anchor course will drop them from their other learning community classes.

How do I change my major?

Before you actually change to another major, you need to do research on the major you are considering. First, run a "What If" scenario in DegreeWorks to see how the courses you have completed fit into a different major. You should also consider talking to a career counselor in the AU Career Center to learn about potential majors and how your interests and background fit with the major you are considering. Next, check the requirements for the program you would like to enroll in because many majors have GPA and course requirements that must be met before a student is accepted into that major. You will also need to meet with an academic advisor in the college of the new major to determine if you are eligible to enter that program. Once you have done your research and made your decision, you need to follow these steps:

  1. If you are changing to a major within your current college, you need to go to your Dean's/Student Services Office and have a "Change of Major" form completed.
  2. If you are moving out of your current college to a major in another college, you will need to pick up your official folder and a "Change of Major Form" from your current Dean's/Student Services Office and take both the folder and the completed "Change of Major" form to the desired college's dean's office. Please note: Some colleges require you to meet with an academic advisor before you can change to another major, others do not.
  3. You will then meet with an academic advisor in the new college who will review your file and, if you are eligible to enter that college, a change of major form will be processed.
How do I withdraw from all my classes?

A student may withdraw from classes through midterm by using AU Access. A student who withdraws from a course prior to the 15th class day during fall or spring semester will have no grade assignment; however, after the first 15 days a W (Withdrawn Passing) grade will be recorded for the course. For the summer terms, all withdrawals with no W grade assignment must be processed prior to the fifth class day. A student who drops a class between the 6th and 15th day of fall or spring semester will be assessed a $100 drop fee. Students who drop a class after the 15th class day will remain responsible for the tuition charged for the class.

A course may be dropped with a W after midterm only under unusual conditions such as serious illness of the student, serious illness or death of a member of the student's immediate family or other seriously disruptive circumstances. When approval for dropping the course under such circumstances is granted with the approval of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies, a W may be assigned only when the instructor indicates that the student is clearly passing the course. Otherwise, a grade of WF (Withdrawn Failing) is assigned and will factor into your institutional GPA as an F.

What if I need to withdraw from my classes due to a medical reason?
All requests for medical withdrawals (physical and/or psychological issues) must be submitted with documentation to the Office of Accessibility for verification of medical documentation and approval. In most cases, appropriate medical documentation will lead to a medical resignation. The Office of Accessibility will notify the student's professors and ask for any additional information about the student's progress in the class/ classes-and to determine the student's grades.
What is the Grade Adjustment Policy (GAP) and how do I determine if I should GAP a class?

The Grade Adjustment Policy (GAP) may be used to remove a maximum of three undergraduate course grades of D or F (including FA or U) from the computation of your AU cumulative GPA. All core and major course requirements must be met for graduation. If removed through GAP, required courses must be repeated at Auburn University. All courses for which a grade has been assigned will remain on the transcript. However, the notation will appear that the work is not included in the GPA. Complete information on GAP can be found in the Academic Policies section of the AU Bulletin.

If you are considering using a GAP for a particular course, you should always meet with your advisor to discuss if this is in your best interest and how it will impact your academic plan. Once you have applied the GAP to a course, it cannot later be restored.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Auburn University is on a four-point system. To calculate your GPA, add the total number of credit hours (minus any S/U hrs.) and divide this number into the total number of quality points. To determine your total number of quality points, multiply the credit hours for each course by the numerical value of the grade earned for each course (A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F= 0). Add these numbers together and you will have your total number of quality points.

*Courses from other schools will not be included in your Auburn GPA.

What do academic warning, academic suspension and expulsion mean?

Academic Warning status is imposed at the end of any term for which the student's cumulative GPA on Auburn course work is below 2.00. Any student who is on Academic Warning status will be placed on Academic Suspension if both of the following conditions apply: 1) The term GPA is below a 2.2 and 2) The cumulative GPA on Auburn course work is below that required for the designated number of hours earned as follows:
Seniors and 5th Year..........1.97

A student suspended at the end of spring semester is ineligible to register for the following summer and fall semester and can return in the spring semester, which begins in January.

All students including beginning freshmen and transfers are not subject to suspension until they have received one semester warning.

A student who incurs a First Academic Suspension may not enroll in the University for a minimum of one semester. Summer term does not count as a semester for terms of suspension. A student returning from academic suspension will be on Academic Warning status. A student who incurs a Second Academic Suspension may not enroll in the University for a minimum of two semesters. A student who incurs a Third Academic Suspension will be expelled from the University.

Students have one semester on warning. If they go on warning at the end of fall and do not make the necessary grades, they are suspended at the end of spring.

It is imperative that a student who has been placed on academic warning, seeks assistance immediately. There are a number of things a student can do:

  • See an academic advisor.
  • Seek assistance from support services available including Academic Support, Student Counseling, the Career Center, the Miller Writing Center, or the First Year Experience Office.
  • Talk to a faculty member or associate dean in your college.

A number of programs exist at Auburn to help the student. Seeking help at the first sign of trouble is the key to success. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar.

Where do I go to get proof of enrollment?

Enrollment information is verified through the National Student Clearinghouse. You will need to go through AU Access to access the information. Under the Student Main Menu, click on 'Student Records,' then 'Enrollment Verification.' At this point the link will automatically take you to the National Student Clearinghouse where you can request the official document to verify your enrollment. The National Student Clearinghouse serves as the agent for and Authorized Certifying School Official of Auburn University. If access on line is not available, the information can be obtained by calling (703) 742-4200.

How do I get an official copy of my transcript?

Please follow the instructions outlined in the Auburn Transcript Requests Procedures.

What is the difference between a dual-degree and double major?
To earn a second baccalaureate (dual) degree, a student must complete all the additional requirements for the second degree (including course work in the major field, college core requirements and courses in support of a major). At least 30 semester hours of the second degree must be unique to the second degree and may not be used as major, supporting or core courses for the first degree. In addition, the total number of hours to complete both degrees must total at least 30 additional semester hours. If 30 unique hours or 30 additional hours cannot be identified, the student is not eligible to receive a second baccalaureate degree. Students who are completing a second degree must comply with all the same grade point requirements and residency requirements as other students. Students may elect to pursue and to receive the two degrees simultaneously if college and departmental requirements can be met simultaneously. To earn a double major, a student must complete all the major courses in the second major (courses bolded in the curriculum model) and meet all the requirements for majors (field of study) such as grade point requirements, the department, school or college core, etc. The minimum number of hours required for an undergraduate major is 30 semester hours. Of these major courses, at least 20 hours must be unique, not courses that have been used as major, supporting, or core courses in the first major. If at least 20 hours of unique courses do not exist between the two majors, a student is not eligible to complete a double major. The student in a double major is not required to complete the college core requirements or the courses in support of the second major. The student will designate which major is the primary field of study and which is the secondary field of study. The student must complete all degree requirements in whichever curriculum he/she designates as the primary field of study. Upon graduation, a student who completes a double major receives a single diploma; a student who completes concurrent (dual) degrees receives a diploma for each degree.
What is a minor and how do I earn one?

A minor is an organized sequence or cluster of courses, including both lower- and upper-division courses, offered by a department or interdepartmental program. It is more restricted in scope than the major, but may also have a somewhat different focus and objective that make it useful to have when your concentration is in another discipline. Not all departments or interdepartmental programs offer minors. See the AU Bulletin for more specific information. Also, your academic advisor will be able to help you determine courses and requirements for a minor.

How do I get my GPA verified?
Your GPA can be verified by your college's Dean's or Student Services office.
How do I find out when my final exams are? What do I do if I am scheduled to take three final exams in one day?

The final exam schedule for the semester is posted before each semester begins. If you are scheduled for three final exams in one day, follow the procedure described here if you wish to have one of the exams rescheduled. Please note that you must request the exam be rescheduled before midterm.

What can I do if I believe my professor is treating me unfairly?

If you believe that you are being treated unfairly by one of your faculty, you should consult the Student Academic Grievance Policy and then discuss your situation with your advisor or your academic associate dean.

My professor is charging me with academic dishonesty: what does that mean?

Academic integrity is a central principle of Auburn University. The specific definition of kinds of academic dishonesty and the rights and responsibilities of faculty and students involved in academic cases are contained in the Academic Honesty Code.

Last Updated: August 28, 2018