COSAM » Departments » Mathematics & Statistics » Students » Undergraduate Students » Math Club
The AU Mathematics Club is an organization open to all undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at Auburn University, not just students majoring in mathematics. Its main focus is to bring together students who share an interest in math to learn from each other, Auburn faculty, and professionals in math-related fields. The club is especially useful for incoming freshmen and becoming a member at an early stage can prove to be beneficial. The veteran members inform new members of research opportunities, provide helpful tutoring, and generally guide them in the direction they want to go.
The Mathematics Club meets biweekly on a day and time appointed by the club at the beginning of each semester. These meetings consist of math related activities, and in the past the club has held a math puzzle day, watched a math-related video (for example TED talks or proofs), and arranged talks by AU faculty members and eminent mathematicians outside of Auburn. In addition to these meetings, at least once a semester a talk is arranged in which a distinguished person in the actuarial or finance field speaks about their profession with the purpose of helping the club members better understand the profession and how to become involved, should they choose this career path.
There are two simple steps to join the AU Mathematics Club:
- Request that your name be put on the Mathematics Club mailing list by emailing a Math Club Officer.
- Join the Mathematics Club (Math Club) on AUInvolve. Here is the website: <https://auburn.collegiatelink.net/organization/mathematics>
The AU Math Club has two faculty advisors,
- Dr. Narendra Kumar Govil http://www.auburn.edu/~govilnk/
- Dr. Tin-Yau Tam http://www.auburn.edu/~tamtiny/
Math Club Officers 2015-2016
- President: Kaitlyn Childers firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President: Timothy Guice email@example.com
- Secretary: Ashley Gibson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Elizabeth Schloss email@example.com
Please feel free to email any faculty advisors and/or club officers with questions. We look forward to having you join us!
Last Updated: 07/29/2016