PHYSICAL THREATS TO STAFF AND STUDENTS
If a person enters or threatens to enter the building for the purpose of causing physical violence either to persons or property:
- Call 911 as soon as possible – explain to the dispatcher what is happening.
- Be sure to give good directions to the dispatcher.
- If safe, stay on the phone with the 911 dispatcher as long as possible.
- Remove students and yourself from any danger, if possible.
- Barricade yourself and students in a room away from the intruder.
- If anyone becomes injured or needs medical attention, tell the 911 dispatcher.
- Do not confront the intruder.
- Do not leave your safe position until told to do so by police or emergency responders.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS IN DISTRESS
If you are aware of a distressed student and are concerned about their well-being, please call these resources for help:
Student Counseling Services
AU Medical Clinic
V.P. of Student Affairs
East Alabama Medical Center
For additional information or referral, call Educational Support Services at 844-4710.
Student Counseling Services: