Harley Moore Selected for Prestigious Schweitzer Fellowship

Student stands in a pharmacy lab

January 13, 2020

AUBURN, Alabama – Harley Moore, a member of the Harrison School of Pharmacy’s Class of 2022, was recently selected for the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship. Schweitzer Fellows develop and implement service projects that address the root causes of health disparities in under-resourced communities, while also fulfilling their academic responsibilities.

It marks the second time in three years for the Harrison School of Pharmacy (HSOP) to have a student selected for the prestigious fellowship.

“I am honored to have been selected for the fellowship as it allows me to pair my two passions of healthcare and service,” said Moore. “I am humbled to be able to serve my community with a project that will be uniquely mine. The Schweitzer Fellowship has a long line of successful past fellows who have led the way and helped shape their communities and I am excited to bring a new sustainable project to Lee County to help address the health disparities facing our community.”

A native of Decatur, Alabama, Moore was asked to submit three needs she perceived in the Lee County Community. Over the first three months of her 15-month term in the fellowship, she will narrow down her focus to one specific community need and develop a plan to address it. The three needs Moore identified were food insecurity, high rates of sexually transmitted infections and mental health.

“Health disparities have a huge impact on individuals within our community and these factors not only place a significant burden on specific populations but affect their overall health outcomes,” said Moore. “I have had the privilege to live and work in Lee County for five years and within this time I have been a witness to some key health disparities. I believe if you want something to change you must be willing to work towards the change.”

Moore’s project will be implemented in collaboration with a community-based health and/or social service organization. In determining a project, the next three months will include exploration of needs, community assets and evidence-based models for interventions. Many community organizations will participate in the training program as co-educators.

"We are impressed by the willingness of these students to devote more time to using data and community voice to accurately understand what organizations and citizens value and desire to see improved," said Kristin Boggs, executive director of the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship of Alabama. “Furthermore, we are excited to see how a broader diversity of disciplinary perspectives this year will enhance their appreciation for interdisciplinary teamwork. These students rose to the top from our most selective application and interview process ever.”

In receiving the fellowship, Moore is one of just 17 graduate and professional students from Auburn University, Samford University, the University of Alabama, the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of Montevallo. The fellows will learn to effectively address social factors that impact health and develop lifelong leadership skills. In doing so, they will follow the example set by famed physician-humanitarian Albert Schweitzer, for whom their fellowship is named.

“I decided to apply for the Schweitzer Fellowship because, like many of my peers, I became a pharmacist because I want to help make a difference in my patients’ lives,” said Moore. “This fellowship not only allows its fellows to selflessly serve their community but teaches the fellows how to critically evaluate a community and implement a needed sustainable project.

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy

Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. The School’s commitment to world-class scholarship and interdisciplinary research speaks to Auburn’s overarching Carnegie R1 designation that places Auburn among the top 100 doctoral research universities in the nation. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: January 13, 2020