Like Mother, Like Daughter: Vicki Faulk ('89) and Bailey Little ('21)

Vicki Faulk and Bailey Little following the White Coat Ceremony Women in Pharmacy: Vicki Faulk with her daughter Bailey Little following the White Coat Ceremony.

October 24, 2017

AUBURN, Alabama – It is not uncommon for children to dream of being like their parents when they grow up. Despite the demanding path required to be a pharmacist, it is surprisingly not too uncommon got see a Harrison School of Pharmacy legacy walking the halls. Among those currently roaming the halls of the Walker Building is first-year student Bailey Little, daughter of Class of 1989 member Vicki Faulk.

For Faulk, growing up in small Luverne, Alabama, she realized at an early age that pharmacy was the path for her.

“I remember going into Foster's Drug store when we needed prescriptions filled and Mr. Clemont Carpenter was our pharmacist,” said Faulk “He was always so kind and I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. I wanted to be the one who had a part in making my patients feel as special as he made everyone feel.”

Growing up in a family of Alabama fans, getting to Auburn was no easy task. Setting out to make her own path, she made a trip to Auburn and it felt like home. But, it was a visit by former HSOP Dean Ben Cooper that solidified her decision.

“Dean Cooper made a visit to Troy and spoke to us about the pharmacy program at Auburn and with his kind and compassionate spirit, I knew Auburn would be the school that would allow me to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming the best pharmacist I could be,” said Faulk.

That passion she had for the profession clearly made its way to her daughter. Little watched her mom work from an early age and knew that’s what she wanted to do.

“I have my mom to thank for my interest in pharmacy. As I grew up, watching her work and seeing how much she enjoyed her work opened my eyes to the profession,” said Little. “The interest grew when my mom helped land me a job at a community pharmacy. That job turned my interest into a desire. I never once found myself dreading going to work because I knew that I would be able to learn so much and interact with so many customers each day.”

Unlike her mother and her Alabama upbringing, Little was an Auburn fan from the start. The first song she ever learned was “War Eagle,” the Auburn fight song and Auburn was the only university she applied to.

“Auburn is my home away from home and I cannot imagine being in pharmacy school anywhere else. This pharmacy program is unparalleled, in my opinion,” said Little. My mom is an HSOP graduate and I have worked with many HSOP graduates. Before the time came to apply, I thought to myself: if these people are any reflection of HSOP, that is definitely a school I want to be a part of. I believe that this program produces pharmacists that are very intelligent and are more than willing to go the extra mile to give optimal healthcare.”

While Faulk has served as a strong role model for her daughter, she was also fortunate to have women in the field offering guidance along the way.

“While pursuing my degree, I worked at East Alabama Medical Center with Mrs. Patty Turner as the Director of Pharmacy,” said Faulk. “She was a very strong woman and I admired her for so many reasons including her ability to always know everything that was going on in her pharmacy. She became a pharmacist at a time when there were not very many women in our profession and she was a phenomenal leader. My goal was to make her proud of me while performing my job.”

Faulk’s career has taken her to Pharmacy Care Associates in Montgomery, Alabama, where she serves as the pharmacy manager. Pharmacy Care Associates is a long-term care pharmacy that services approximately 2,500 nursing home patients in Alabama, something she is very passionate about.

“I love our geriatric population and the special needs that are required for them,” said Faulk. “Dosing considerations are of utmost importance in this population and I respect each of our patients for the lives that they have given to take care of others and want to ensure that I am a part of making sure they get the care they deserve.”

Without even knowing it, the hard work and love for the profession exhibited by Faulk was inspiring her daughter. She never pressured her children to follow her path, but Little says the daily example of all things a pharmacist can be was something she wanted to follow.

“My mom has always been my very best friend and my role model. Now I get to add ‘resource’ and ‘colleague’ to that list,” said Little. “She is such an intelligent woman and I have already learned so much from her about pharmacy. She works so hard, which reflects on her personal character, her love for the profession, and the principles that HSOP instills to this day. She touches the lives of every person she meets.”

After three years of undergraduate studies at Auburn, Little completed her prerequisites and was admitted to the Harrison School of Pharmacy for the Fall of 2017. For the mother-daughter team, a big day came on Saturday, August 19, 2017 with the Class of 2021’s White Coat Ceremony.

“The emotions I felt watching Bailey receive her white coat cannot be put into words,” said Faulk “I do know that she will be a fabulous pharmacist and take care of so many because she doesn't take lightly the importance of our job. When Bailey decided to pursue a career in pharmacy, I was overwhelmed with pride that she felt it was an important and noble profession to join. She has seen the hard work and long hours and loves our patients just like I always have.”

For Little, she is enjoying learning the different aspects of pharmacy as she starts her journey. She enjoys aspects of community pharmacy and that may be in her career path, but right now she has her eye on long-term care, just like her mother.

Just like Faulk had a strong woman to offer guidance through pharmacy school, Little has one in her mother. If nothing else, her mother has instilled confidence in her as she pursues her passion.

“My mom reminds me every day that confidence is key. Any time I’m studying and am nervous for a test or quiz, she instills confidence in me,” said Little. “She is among the most confident people I know, so growing up in her household meant a great deal of life lessons on confidence and self-respect.”

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: October 24, 2017