Auburn Pharmacist Spotlight: Anthony Todd

Learn more about the Class of 2018 member and President's Award winner

Dean Hansen, Anthony Todd, and Dr. Jungnickel stand in a row Anthony Todd (center) after receiving the President's Award with Dean Richard Hansen and Associate Dean Paul Jungnickel.

May 7, 2018

AUBURN, AlabamaPeriodically, the Harrison School of Pharmacy will highlight one of its students, faculty members, staff members or alums. This month, we will feature Class of 2018 member and President’s Award winner Anthony Todd.

Anthony Todd, a native of Montgomery, Alabama, was recently recognized as the HSOP recipient of the President’s Award. The award is given annually to a graduating student in each school or college who possesses outstanding qualities of leadership, citizenship, character and promise of professional ability.

Following graduation, Todd will complete a fellowship at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine. He will work under Dr. Nicole Slater in the Department of Family Medicine and will receive clinical training in ambulatory care providing chronic disease state management and patient/provider/interprofessional education with a strong emphasis on developing research skills for a career in academia.

After all this time, how does it feel to be at this point?

“I am beyond ecstatic! This was definitely a long journey, and I can't wait to finally fulfill my purpose as a pharmacist. What I'm most proud and thankful for is that I was able to complete this journey with my wife Ashton, who graduated three days before me on May 5 from the University of South Alabama College of Medicine and will begin a residency in pediatrics at University of South Alabama (USA) Children's and Women's Hospital. We've taken this journey together since high school where we met, through undergraduate at UAB, and now finally through professional school to reach our dreams. It's even more rewarding that our 6-month-old daughter Aedriel will be able to watch us both cross the stage!”

What was your experience like on HSOP’s Mobile campus?

“It was amazing. I wouldn't trade my experiences here for anything in the world. I don't think HSOP has ever had a class quite like the Mobile Campus Class of 2018. We all worked extremely well together and really grew to become family. We were able to do so many things, like implementing pharmacy services into the USA Student-Run Free Clinic and starting the Mobile Gala and the Mobile Research Symposiums.

Serving as the emcee as a P1 during the first Mobile Gala at the Carnival Museum was a great experience, but definitely something that was out of my comfort zone. Volunteering at the clinic has been invaluable to my growth as a student pharmacist, as I've been able to have great interprofessional experiences but also provided empathetic patient-centered care to the underserved population of Mobile, Alabama. Also, having our first Mobile Hargreaves Day last year was great. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to have a combined one with the Auburn campus, but we had a great time last year, and my competitiveness was on full display that day.”

Who has had the biggest influence on you during your time at HSOP?

“For faculty, the top of the list definitely has to be Dr. Nicole Slater, who served as my PPE mentor these last four years and will be my fellowship director for the next year after graduation. She started her tenure with HSOP my P1 year, so we've had ample opportunity to grow together, and she has instilled in me a confidence and desire to be the best ambulatory care pharmacist I can be. I am also greatly appreciative to Dr. Allison Chung and Dr. Lea Eiland for allowing me to collaborate on their research projects, which helped me to fully realize my desire to continue research in the future.

I also am very thankful for the staff on the Mobile Campus (Melissa Webb, Marian Williams, Olivia Shanks, Lisa Black, and Chuck Bolivar) for really being our support system and advocating for the students on the Mobile campus. I've already mentioned the Mobile Campus Class of 2018 - these people are my family now. I am amazed at how well we all meshed together and all just really strove for collective success.

You have accepted a fellowship at USA. Tell us about that fellowship and what all you will be doing.

After graduation I will be completing a one-year Primary Care/Academia Fellowship through the USA Department of Family Medicine. Dr. Slater will be my fellowship director, and I will also have extensive training with Dr. Sean Smithgall, a transitions-of-care pharmacist and Mobile Campus faculty member. What makes fellowships different from residencies is that while residencies are highly structured and organized, fellowships are very flexible and able to be tailored to a particular fellow's interests.

I will have extensive training in ambulatory care and transitions of care at the USA Family Medicine Clinic, focusing on such chronic disease states as diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, anticoagulation, smoking cessation, COPD, and asthma. I will also be involved in a lot of research, focusing on such areas as interprofessional education and perceptions, health literacy, hospital readmissions, chronic disease state management, and curricular development.

Since I will be completing a Teaching and Learning Certificate Program through AUHSOP, I will help develop innovative teaching methods to apply to our new curriculum and prepare and deliver lectures for the Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) course sequence. Other longitudinal activities include grant writing and protocol development for pharmacists' services at the USA Family Medicine Clinic, precepting fourth-year student pharmacists on rotation with Dr. Slater and Dr. Smithgall, blog development, medication therapy management services at Ozanam Charitable Pharmacy, and assisting the Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice (IPE) Committee at the University of South Alabama.

It's going to be a very busy year, but I'm so excited to be able to do the exact job that I've desired as a career since day one of pharmacy school. I'm looking forward to the growth and training that I will receive, but also to the care I will provide to my patients and to the guidance and mentorship that I will provide to the student pharmacists on rotations.

Where do you see your career taking you?

“A major goal of this fellowship is to help make me marketable in any area of pharmacy, whether that's in academia, hospital pharmacy, or the community setting. Academia is my passion, and I've directly expressed to Dr. Marlowe, Dr. Jungnickel and Dean Hansen my desire to be a faculty member at AUHSOP on the Mobile campus, so hopefully in the near future there will be an opportunity available. Ultimately, I would love to be a dean of a school of pharmacy (especially of AUHSOP) so as to better serve as a mentor to future generations of pharmacists who would continue to strive for positive changes in the pharmacy profession. If a faculty position isn't available immediately upon my completion of the fellowship, then I will reach out to local hospitals and physician offices to implement ambulatory care pharmacist services to help fill the need for primary care services that are lacking in the state of Alabama.”

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy

Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: May 7, 2018