Harrison School of Pharmacy
Graduate Student Directory
Degree Program: Ph.D., Health Outcomes Research and Policy
Anticipated Graduation: 2018
Advisor: Salisa Westrick, Ph.D.
B.S., Pharmaceutical Sciences - Toledo, 2013
M.S., Health Outcomes and Socioeconomic Sciences - Toledo, 2015
The goal of my research is to improve healthcare safety and effectiveness through the adoption of innovations in organizations using real world implementation strategies informed by organizational theories and frameworks. Currently, I am interested in the adoption of immunization registries in community pharmacies. My dissertation will identify barriers to utilization of immunization registries within a pharmacy context and tailor the information learned into a novel immunization registry training program with strategies specific to individual subsets of pharmacies, including pharmacies in rural areas.
Doing so will help achieve my long-term goal which is to increase the use of immunization registries in community pharmacies in Alabama. If successful, these resources can then be replicated and used to significantly impact the completeness and accuracy of immunization registries across the United States. This will provide the potential for registries to be used consistently in assessing immunization status and recommending additional vaccines in the pharmacy setting, thereby improving vaccination coverage and making the provision of immunizations safe and efficient.
For more information about my research interests, go to www.tessahastings.com.
- Hohmann LA, Hastings TJ, McFarland SJ, Hollingsworth, JC, Westrick SC. Implementing a Medicare Plan Selection Assistance Program through a Community Partnership. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (In Press).
- Hastings TJ, Hohmann LA, McFarland SJ, Teeter, BS, Westrick SC. Pharmacists’ Attitudes and Perceived Barriers to Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination Services. Pharmacy. 2017;5(3):45.
- Westrick SC, Hohmann LA, McFarland SJ, Teeter, BS, White K, Hastings TJ. Parental acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccinations and community pharmacies as vaccination settings: a qualitative study in Alabama. Papillomavirus Research. 2017;3:24-29.
- Westrick SC, Hastings TJ, McFarland SJ, Hohmann LA, Hohmann NS. How do pharmacists assist Medicare beneficiaries with limited income? A cross-sectional study of community pharmacies in Alabama. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. 2016;22(9):1039-1045.
- Hastings, TJ, Chao, L., Hohmann, NS, Chou, CE, Hansen, R. Perceived comfort level with prescribing medications: self- and peer-evaluation of oncologists. Podium Presentation at the Annual AURIC Cancer Symposium, Opelika, AL, August 2017.
- Hastings, TJ, Hohmann, LA, McFarland, SJ, Garza, K, Ha, D, Huston, S, Westrick, SC. Integration of Multi-Disciplinary Concepts to Enhance Non-Seasonal Vaccinations: We Immunize Training Program. Poster Presentation at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN, July 2017.
- Hastings, TJ, Hansen, RA, Garza, K, Qian, J, Westrick, SC. Completeness of Immunization Information System Vaccine Information: A Systematic Review. Podium Presentation at the ISPOR Annual International Meeting, Boston, MA, May 2017.
- Hastings, TJ, McFarland, S, Hohmann, LA, Garza, K, Huston, S, Ha, D, Westrick, SC. Recruiting Community Pharmacies in Intervention Research: Participation Decisions and Lessons Learned. Poster Presentation at the American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 2017.
- Hastings, TJ, Hohmann, L, McFarland, S, Teeter, B, Westrick, SC. Pharmacy-based Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination Services: Perceptions, Barriers, and Current Services Provided by Alabama Pharmacists. Poster Presentation at the CDC National Immunization Conference, Atlanta, GA, September 2016.
- Hastings, TJ, McFarland, S, Hohmann, L, Westrick, SC. Assisting Medicare Beneficiaries with Limited Income: Frequency of Encounters, Actions, and Knowledge of Alabama Pharmacists. Podium Presentation at the American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, March 2016.
Last Updated: September 12, 2018