ENGL 7800: Introduction to Cultural Studies (2007)
- 1. Dr. Backscheider is perhaps one of the most effective professors I have ever had – her standards and expectations are higher than most but still well within what is reasonable.
- Excellent planning/execution of collaborative and individual activities
- Fostered group camaraderie and competition
- Inspired effort
- Needed and enjoyed theory materials
- Enjoyed literature
- A. Dr. Backscheider is an exceptionally effective professor. She is thoroughly versed in all aspects of her field and expresses genuine interest in helping her students to become the same.
B. It is still unclear what percentage of our grade comes from which assignment. This would have been helpful.
- A. Another amazing Backscheider course! Her ability to retain and recall information is mind boggling.
B. The assigned perspectives for readings was especially helpful in determining the multiple readings of a text.
- She is a superb teacher whose deep learning and understanding is evident in her teaching.
- Her comments during class as to her rationales for her teaching methods with both undergraduate and graduate students were extremely helpful.
- Reading the Storey chapter on literature earlier in the semester might have been helpful for me.
- Fabulous seminar overall!
- I found the professor very effective. I had had an intro to theory class before, but this class made everything I didn’t understand in the previous class understandable. The activities and examples made the theory “come alive.”
- The only question is how much each assignment is worth, but I feel we were given great instruction re: each assignment.
- Thank you for a great course.
- The comments on assignments & in conferences were useful and the classroom was certainly an “intellectual community.”
- A wonderful seminar – the best Theory class I have taken. Dr. Backscheider did all of the things that a good graduate instructor should do & matched that w/ an effective course design. –Good discussion, stimulating readings.-
- I would like to see some consideration of tradition outside of 18th Century Britain. –India, Latin America, for instance.
- A. I love Dr. Backscheider. She is awesome!
- I was scared of this class due to an intense aversion to any kind of literary theory. But, I think that this class made it more accessible (and dare I say enjoyable?) for me. I really appreciated the leeway we had in choosing a topic for our semester project – that made applying these theories/concepts more interesting. I wish I could bring Dr. Backscheider with me when I change schools next year – I will really miss her enthusiasm and how she motivates me to do my best work!
- Extremely beneficial instructor to my education. She was, however, against active assistance, not to be draconian but to assist our learning. If a problem occurred, outside of challenging us to be better students of literature, she was very helpful.
Students could respond five ways:
A: Strongly Agree, B: Agree, C: Neither agree nor diagree, D: Disagree, or E: Strongly Disagree:
Optional 1: My reading skills improved as a result of this course.
Optional 2: My instructor increased my understanding of literature.
Optional 3: My instructor increased my appreciation of literature.
Optional 4: My instructor's comments on my written work were helpful.
Optional 5: My instructor established reasonable office hours and was usually available during those hours.
Optional 6: Overall, my instructor was an effective teacher.