ENGL 7800: Introduction to Cultural Studies (2003)
- Dr. Backscheider is definitely one of the most challenging professors I have ever had. As this is not my area, I was exposed to so much new material that I was constantly swimming in new information. But I welcomed that! I ultimately am in grad school to be challenged-- it's good to be nervous before coming to class for a change. She's the most knowledgeable professor I've worked with, and I hope to establish a working relationship with her in the future. No suggestions-- a lot of work but worth the effort.
- Dr. Backscheider is very well-read & professional; she expects & inspires the best work from her students. I definitely feel my skills as a critic & reader of literature have increased as a result of this course & I look forward to applying my new found knowledge in other venues. No suggestions.
- Dr. Backscheider, again, taught a professional, stimulating, and exciting course. I enjoy her insights and benefit immensely from her guidance.
- Overall, this course was very well put together. The emphasis on reception & representation theory helped me to address some shortcomings in my ongoing education. However, I wish we could spend a little more time on some of the primary texts, such as Persuasion and some others, like The Beggar's Opera.
- All incredible class, interesting discussions, I really enjoyed it and I had a lot to learn. No suggestions.
- Dr. Backscheider was a tremendous teacher. I felt that she, though very demanding, made every effort to help us succeed in both this class & in our other academic interests. Her enthusiasm was contagious. Her expertise intimidating. The overwhelming amount of reading & mini assignments made it tough to apply time to the project weighted most heavily. It would have helped had some of the mini projects eased off in the last 4-6 weeks.
- I feel like I have learned more in this course than in any other graduate course I have. Dr. Backscheider clearly explained the theories we learned and led in productive discussion of how to apply the theories in our readings. Her enthusiasm for and knowledge of the material contributed to the positive atmosphere of the seminar. Her concern for her students was evident to me in individual conferences we had. Written comments on work were very detailed and helpful. The only other observation I have is that the workload for this class was about twice that of my other classes. Though I feel I benefitted from everything we did, I also at times felt I had to neglect my other classes to meet the demands of this class.
Students could respond five ways:
A: Strongly Agree, B: Agree, C: Neither agree nor diagree, D: Disagree, or E: Strongly Disagree:
Optional 1: My reading skills improved as a result of this course.
Optional 2: My instructor increased my understanding of literature.
Optional 3: My instructor increased my appreciation of literature.
Optional 4: My instructor's comments on my written work were helpful.
Optional 5: My instructor established reasonable office hours and was usually available during those hours.
Optional 6: Overall, my instructor was an effective teacher.