Session 1: June 25-30, 2023 | Session 2: July 16-21, 2023
Rising 11th – 12th Grade + Rising College Freshmen
Nursing Camp, facilitated by Auburn University School of Nursing (AUSON) and Auburn Youth Programs (AYP), is an engaging one-week summer program available for high school students interested in careers in nursing. Camp participants “learn by doing” and practice technical skills as they rotate through interactive learning stations led by undergraduate nursing students in the school’s labs and simulation center. Faculty use case studies and simulation scenarios to bring healthcare specializations like emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and home health to life as the teens provide care for simulated patients throughout the week. The week includes team competitions, learning opportunities with community healthcare professionals, and discussion of educational pathways to nursing.
Most of the sessions are held in AUSON’s 89,000 square-foot beautiful new building where student learning experiences in lecture halls, an active learning classroom, skills labs, and the EAGLES Simulation Center are held. Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
Campers will reside in the Hill Dormitories. They are designed in suites consisting of two double-occupancy rooms connected by a bathroom.
Meals will be provided at The Edge at Central Dining. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
Auburn University and The School of Nursing recently just completed construction on a brand new Nursing Building located on the corner of Lem Morrison and Donahue Drive. This 89,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility is the first building on campus to provide a home for all of nursing’s classes, simulation labs, activity learning centers and offices.
Additional facilities for clinical nursing experiences include East Alabama Medical Center and other hospitals in the area, Mental Health Centers, clinics, nursing homes, physicians’ offices, Public Health Departments, public schools and industrial sites.
Assistant Clinical Professor
Mrs. Henderson joined the Auburn Faculty in 2016. She graduated from Auburn’s School of Nursing in 2013 with her Bachelors of Science in Nursing. Following graduation, she moved to Atlanta and worked for Emory University Hospital in the Neurointensive Care Unit for around three years. Mrs. Henderson then went on to graduate from Auburn University in 2016 with her Masters in Nursing Education. After graduation, Mrs. Henderson began working for the Auburn University School of Nursing and teaches first and second semester students in the areas of Nursing Pathophysiology and Adult Health Nursing.
Mrs. Henderson serves on the Research Committee and is also on the Governance Committee for Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society. She also took part in the first nursing camp at Auburn University in the summer of 2016. She is a professional member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, Phi Kappa Pi Honor Society, the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, and the Alabama Nursing Association.
This application has closed. Check back in early December for information about Summer 2022.
Applications will open on December 1, 2022 at 9AM and close on March 1, 2023.
Note: Students who plan to attend camp as rising college freshmen must be under 19 years of age at the time of camp and cannot attend college orientation before camp.
Camp Fees are $900 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $40.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: December 1, 2022