Movies and Films

  1. Outdoor Movies

    It is your responsibility as event coordinator to acquire or rent audio-visual equipment for outside movies. You will need to coordinate this with the facilities department as well as the building administration if you plan to use a power supply from any building. Remember the rules regarding amplified sound.

  2. Federal Copyright Laws

    The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) governs how copyrighted materials, including films and musical works, can be used and shown. Neither the rental nor the purchase of a videocassette or DVD authorizes that the tape or DVD to be shown outside of a private home. Showing the DVD and videocassette within a home to family or friends is allowed. Any other showing or viewing of a film, movie, music, or any other copyrighted work in any other place not considered a home requires permission of the copyright owner. Permission is required regardless of whether a fee is charged, or whether the institution or organization is a commercial or not-for-profit entity.

    Please note that showing movies that have a significant academic component is acceptable. Groups that fail to follow these policies will be responsible for paying any fees that may arise.

Last Updated: September 18, 2015