General Planning

  1. University vs. Private Events
    • Insurance is required for all private (non-university) events and some events sponsored by student organizations. Additional insurance may be required for university events that present an unusual or high risk. For more information, call Risk Management & Insurance at (334) 844-4533.

    • University events generally include all events officially sponsored by university departments and offices when such events further the mission, goals, and/or purpose of the university and/or the specific department/group.

  2. Events with Food
    • Caterers serving food on Auburn University's campus should be registered with the Auburn University Catering Licensure and Registration Program.

    • If you are planning an event where food is prepared and sold on campus, you should obtain a temporary permit from the Lee County Health Department. You can contact the Lee County Health Department at 334-745-5765. Food cannot be prepared off site and sold on campus.

    • Grills are not allowed within 50 feet of campus buildings or in other designated no-grill areas. All fires must be contained within grills or other containers designed specifically for that purpose. Extinguish charcoal fires thoroughly with water when finished. Contact the facilities department in order to obtain the proper container for charcoal disposal. You may also remove extinguished charcoal from campus for disposal. Do not dump charcoal on the campus grounds or in dumpsters.

  3. Events with Alcohol
  4. Event Size
    • Event organizers should monitor crowd size in relationship to facility capacity and be prepared to deal with crowd size that is near capacity. Once a facility reaches maximum capacity event organizers are responsible for monitoring entrances in order to prevent additional people from entering. Due to the fire code, the venue should not exceed capacity.

  5. Outdoor Concerts and Similar Events
    • We encourage appropriately notifying neighbors before any event that may cause noise disruptions. It is the responsibility of event organizers to make sure all university policies on amplified sound are followed.

    • Event organizers should make sure responsible volume levels are maintained. Amplified sound is allowed Monday through Thursday from 5pm-9pm; Friday from 5pm-Midnight; Saturday from 8am-midnight, and Sunday from 8am-9pm with no decibel limit. Amplified Sound Permits are required.

    • Permission is required for outdoor entertainment events with amplified sound. Amplified Sound Permit Requests are currently submitted separately from event requests in the Campus Event Planning System and must be submitted at least 14 days in advance and must include a list of required information for the request to be approved. The outdoor entertainment permit will specify the location and other requirements to ensure that the event is conducted in a safe manner.

    • Amplified sound may not disrupt scheduled instructional or other academic activities. Events deemed disruptive will not be approved.

    • No musical instrument or sound-amplification equipment of any kind, including stereo speakers and stationary or mobile public address systems, is allowed on the concourses, streets, in areas adjacent to academic buildings, or in the Open Air Forum at any time.

    • *Questions regarding noise permits should be directed to (334) 844-9447 or (334) 844-8584.

    • The Outdoor Sound Policy regulates and provides guidance for outdoor sound, including, but not limited to, the use of electrical speakers, radios, DJ equipment, bullhorns, and musical instruments. Outdoor sound may only occur during the hours described below.

    • Organizations or individuals that would like to include sound in their outdoor event must apply for an Outdoor Sound Permit through the Division of Student Affairs. Permits are required for all outdoor sound and will be provided on a first come, first serve basis. Only one permit will be provided per space, per day.

    • For events with outdoor sound occurring 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday, permits are provided with restrictions on the decibel level of the sound (see below). When a permit is approved, decibel meters can be checked out from the Student Center Reservations Office. The individual listed on the permit as the contact person must be present for the duration of the event. Permits will be granted with the stipulation that sound will be monitored by the event coordinator. Any language that is considered obscene must be terminated by the event coordinator or the permit will be revoked immediately.

    Decibel Sound Level Restrictions Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm:

    Student Center Green Space

    Location: Speakers/sound instrument must be placed on the Student Center side of the Green Space facing the Parking Deck OR on the transportation hub side facing Owen Hall.

    Decibel Level: 80 decibels measured at 50 feet from the sound source. Weighting A should be used for voice. Weighting C should be used for music.

    Haley Concourse

    Location:Speakers/sound source must be placed on the concourse within the footprint of the Student Center, facing the Student Center.

    Decibel Level:80 decibels measured at 30 feet from the sound source. Weighting A should be used for voice. Weighting C should be used for music.

    Cater Lawn

    Location:Speakers/sound source must be placed on the Cater Lawn grass, in front of Foy Hall.

    Decibel Level:75 decibels measured at 35 feet from the sound source. Weighting A should be used for voice. Weighting C should be used for music.

    The Division of Student Affairs and Campus Safety have the authority to revoke a permit during the event, if event coordinators do not abide by set decibel levels. Violations of the Outdoor Sound Policy will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

  6. Games of Chance
    • Game tournaments involving games of skill, such as chess, are permitted; however, games of chance cannot be played if money will be involved in any way, such as poker. Raffles are not allowed at the university.

Last Updated: March 2, 2016