This Is Auburn Office of the Registrar
Transfer Students

Welcome to Auburn University’s Office of the Registrar transfer student page! We hope that you will find the information below helpful during your transition to Auburn University. The transfer equivalency tables and our FAQ page can be accessed by viewing the helpful links below. Welcome to Auburn University and WAR EAGLE!

Transcript Policy

Transcripts must be official and must be sent directly from the transfer institution to Auburn University. Auburn does not accept transcripts issued to the student electronically, sent by the student, or faxed copies. Auburn will only accept a hand-delivered copy of the official transcript if it is unopened in a sealed envelope from the transfer institution.

We encourage transcripts to be sent electronically to Auburn University through the following services: Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, SCOIR, or Scribbles.

If you are unable to send documents through these services, please mail the official copy to one of the addresses below:

  • If you will be a first-time Auburn undergraduate student, transcripts should be emailed to or physically mailed to:

    Admission Processing
    1550 East Glenn Ave, Suite 1210
    Auburn, AL 36849

  • If you are currently an Auburn undergraduate student, or are a returning Auburn undergraduate student, transcripts should be emailed to or physically mailed to:

    The Office of the Registrar
    Langdon Hall
    152 S. College Street
    Auburn, AL 36849

  • If you need to send a transcript to the Auburn University Graduate School, please see the question “Where do I send my official transcripts?” on the Graduate School Admission FAQs.

If you send your transcript to Auburn through any of the avenues to any of these addresses, it will get where it needs to go.

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

College transcripts will be evaluated after a student has been accepted by the Office of Admissions. The evaluation process may take time, depending upon the courses taken and the location of the institution. Submitting Official Transcripts as quickly as possible will help ensure the Auburn credit awarded will show on the student’s record before the SOS Orientation session.

Auburn University will accept transfer credit of similar content from accredited institutions (see below for specifics). Coursework that is technical or remedial in nature is generally not accepted for credit at Auburn. Students may receive specific course credit or general elective credit for courses taken at other institutions. Transfer courses that are considered ‘Core’ will be evaluated in the Office of the Registrar by the University Transcript Evaluator. All other courses will be routed to the respective department for review.

Transfer credit will be applied as appropriate to a student’s degree program. The authority to apply transferred credit toward degree requirements rests with the student’s college of enrollment. Transferring between colleges within Auburn University will not affect the equivalencies established for a student’s transfer work, but may affect the applicability of the credit towards the new degree program.

Transfer grade point averages are calculated by Auburn based on all college work attempted and may differ from averages calculated by other institutions. The official Auburn University grade point average is based only on coursework completed at Auburn and does not include transfer grades.


  1. Collegiate work will be considered for transfer credit from post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six accrediting associations listed below:
    1. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    2. Higher Learning Commission
    3. New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior Colleges and Junior Colleges
  2. Auburn University evaluates coursework from institutions outside the U.S. to determine if they are transferrable. This evaluation takes into consideration two primary concerns: Accreditation/Recognition and Course Transferability. Collegiate work will be considered for transfer credit for courses completed at colleges and universities outside of the United States that are accredited or approved by the Ministry of Education (or other appropriate governmental agency) of the country in which they are located. The courses must also be of comparable content, level, semester hour credits and appropriate for meeting baccalaureate degree requirements at Auburn University. For further information about the international transfer credit evaluation process, please see here. For further information about the admission requirements, please see the Admissions page for Prospective International students.
  3. Exceptions regarding acceptance of credit are made through the Registrar and require approval of the student’s home college and the department appropriate to the course subject.

General Information

  1. The evaluation and award of Auburn University transfer credit for coursework will be based on official transcripts. To be eligible for evaluation, coursework must appear on an official transcript from the institution that offered the coursework and initially conferred the credit.
  2. Auburn University follows a semester calendar and awards credits earned in semester hours. Earned hours taken at an institution on non-semester based academic calendars will be converted to semester credits and reported on the Auburn University transcript as semester hours.
  3. Credit granted at another institution for non-traditional experiences (i.e. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, military training, etc.) will not automatically be applied to a student’s record at Auburn University. The student must submit official documentation from the original provider of the non-traditional experience.
  4. The following types of credit are not transferrable and will not count towards a degree. These courses will not be included on the Auburn University transcript.
    1. Remedial or developmental courses
    2. Technical courses
    3. Occupational, vocational and some workforce courses from two-year institutions
    4. Courses classified as below freshman level by the originating institution
  5. Courses taken at a two-year institution will be given lower division (1000 and 2000 level) credit only. Undergraduate courses from four-year baccalaureate degree-granting institutions may transfer at the same level (lower or upper division), as they were taken.
  6. Credit is granted based on coursework earned, not degrees. Students transferring to Auburn University with an Associate’s degree may not automatically be granted junior standing.
  7. If a student has repeated a course at another institution, all occurrences of the course, including grades, will be posted to the Auburn University transcript.
  8. Credit in which a grade of F was earned is not applicable and will not count towards a degree. However, the course, hours, and grade are included in the Auburn University transcript and calculated in the grade point average.
  9. Students are required to submit official transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended. All transferable work will be posted to the Auburn University transcript. Students are not able to pick and choose specific courses for transfer.


I am thinking of transferring to Auburn University next semester, how do I know how many hours from my current institution will transfer to Auburn?

Once you submit your official transcripts to Admissions, your transfer work will be entered into our system. If a course is already in our database, then the AU equivalent will show immediately. If the course is not in our system then you will receive a pending credit for the course. Once you have been accepted by the Office of Admissions, the pending credit will be evaluated by the respective department. You should know how your pending credits will be counting by the time you attend your SOS session.

What GPA and other requirements must be met in order to transfer to Auburn University?

Students needing transfer admissions information should check the Admissions website.

Do my D’s transfer to Auburn University?

Credit for Core Curriculum English writing courses is allowed only on grades of C or better. Courses with grades of D are only acceptable for transfer in those degree programs in which grades of D are acceptable for equivalent courses taken at Auburn University.

Does my transfer work taken at other institutions count in my Auburn GPA?

No. Your credits from other institutions may count towards degree progress at Auburn University but your Auburn GPA will only include courses taken at Auburn University.

What kind of credit will I receive for remedial or technical courses taken at other institutions?

Auburn University does not reward credit for remedial or technical courses. If these courses are included in your transfer work then they will receive a NOCR 1000 credit.

I received AP credit in high school that is accepted at my current school. How to I ensure that I will receive the same credit when I transfer to Auburn University?

Once you have been accepted at Auburn University and we have received official College Board reports of your AP credit, we will award the appropriate credit based on Auburn guidelines. Please refer to (link) to see how AP credit is awarded at Auburn.

I will be transferring 75 hours from a local community college. Will all of these hours count toward my degree at Auburn University?

The maximum credit allowed will be equivalent to one-half of the student’s curriculum at Auburn but not to exceed 96 quarter hours or 64 semester hours.

How does Auburn convert quarter hours to semester hours?

Auburn multiples the quarter hour by .67 to get the semester hour. For example, if you have earned 6 quarter hours they will be converted to 4 semester hours.

I have been to several different schools and I have 25 hours needed to complete a Bachelor’s degree. Will Auburn University accept all of my previous hours?

A minimum of 25% of the total semester hours required for the baccalaureate degree must be earned in residence at Auburn University. A minimum of 50% of the course work in the major must be earned in residence at Auburn University. These hours must be taken in the final year (final 25%) and in the school/college curriculum of graduation. Students should contact their college of enrollment for the specific number of hours required for their degree.

Can I transfer courses that I am currently working on?

Yes. Make sure you send in a copy of your official transcript to Admissions once you have successfully completed the course(s) and a grade has been awarded.

What does a pending credit mean?

A pending credit is a temporary credit given to a transfer course that is in the process of being evaluated by the respective department for Auburn credit. Once an equivalent has been determined by the department, the pending credit will be removed and the AU equivalent will be awarded in its place.

What does an EVAL HOLD mean? Is this the same thing as a pending credit?

The difference between an EVAL HOLD and a pending credit is that the EVAL HOLD has already been evaluated by the department and it has been determined that the AU equivalent must be applied on an individual, case-by-case basis. These credits are often seen on separate lecture and lab Science courses, on Art or Music courses that require the submission of a portfolio to determine credit, and on Special Topics courses where the content changes by semester. Please speak to your academic advisor about getting these updated to show the specific AU credit.

What is a general elective?

A general elective is given to a transfer course that has legitimate course content but Auburn does not offer a specific match. The course is essentially a free elective at Auburn.

I feel that some of my courses may have been evaluated incorrectly. How do I challenge an AU equivalent that I have been given if I believe there may have been a mistake?

Please talk to your academic advisor about challenging an Auburn course equivalency. If your advisor agrees the course may need to be re-evaluated he/she will explain how to initiate the process.

What is my class standing?

Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of semester hours passed. See below for breakdown:

  • Sophomore: completed 30 hours and is in the 31st to 60th credit hour.
  • Junior: completed 60 hours and is in the 61st to 90th credit hour.
  • Senior: completed 90 hours and is in the 91st hour or higher.

I am currently an Auburn student but would like to take a course at another college over the summer. How do I know if the course I choose to take will be accepted at Auburn?

Check the transfer equivalency tables to see if the course is already in our database (see link). If the course is not in our system, please speak to your academic advisor about getting the course evaluated before you take it to ensure AU credit.

I am thinking about transferring to Auburn University next year. Who do I need to speak to find out how my courses will be counting at Auburn in my intended major?

You will need to speak to student services or an advisor within the college you are considering. For contact information, please visit the Academic Advising webpage.

Transfer Courses by State & Institution

Transfer Courses by Course Name

Helpful Resources