Frequently Asked Questions

If you have additional questions email us at or call (334) 844-4145.

Q - What methods are used by AU for job evaluations?

A - A combination of methods are considered for each job -- market pricing, point factor scoring, whole job ranking and classification factors.  The results of each of the methods suggest a grade and the grade assigned is based on a combination of these results.

Q - What are the criteria for assigning jobs to the four Auburn University employee groups -- "Tenure Track Faculty", "Nontenure Track Faculty", "University Staff" and "Administrative-Professional"?

A - The criteria approved by the Board of Trustees in 1992 are as follows:

  • University Staff: All FLSA nonexempt jobs.
  • Tenure Track Faculty: Jobs which carry a tenure relationship with a tenure awarding unit.
  • Nontenure Track Faculty: Jobs which do not carry a tenure relationship but either 1) carry administrative or supervisory responsibilities for an instructional, research or extension program, or 2) require self-directing, non-assisting participation in instruction, research, extension or a combination, and involves design, development, execution and evaluation of an academic undertaking based upon specialized training, or knowledge, and/or equivalent experience.
  • Adminstrative-Professional: All others not included in the above (FLSA exempt and not faculty).

Q - What are the procedures for reclassifying a position (i.e. changing the job assigned to the position)?

A - Policy and procedure for position reclassification are found in section 3.3 of the AU Personnel Policy and Procedure Manual.  Forms for requesting position changes, and new positions, are found in appendix 3.B of the Manual.

Q - Describe the Employee Recognition Award program.

A - The Employee Recognition Award program recognizes regular staff employees for years of service with the University. Employees receive awards for 5, 10, 20, 25, 30 and 40 years of service with the University.

Q - Who is eligible for nomination to receive the Spirit of Excellence Award?

A - Any regular University employee excluding tenure and non-tenure track faculty.

Q - Who can nominate an employee for the Spirit of Excellence Award?

A - Any regular University employee or faculty member can nominate an employee for the Spirit of excellence.

Q - What is the Employee Assistance Program?

A - Auburn University EAP assist employees with resolving work\life issues that affects their everyday living. Al l regular University employees can seek assistance through the EAP.

Q - What is a grievance?

A - A grievance is a problem or concern by a regular employee alleging that he or she has ben treated wrongly in regards to the interpretation, application or violation of a University policy or procedure. 

Q - How do I register for HRD courses? 
A - You may register for HRD classes by completing a Registration Form, or using our online Fast-Train system.  To register using a Registration Form, click here. Enter the information for the course for which you wish to register. Then click on the Print button. Mail your registration form to Human Resource Development, 1550 East Glenn Avenue, Auburn University, AL 36849.

Here's how you get into Fast-Train: The sign-in for Fast-Train is located within the AU Access portal:  Sign into AU Access from the University’s main web page; go to “Employee Services”; on that page under “Professional Development” click on “Fast-Train,” and you will be taken directly to your Fast-Train page.  Note: You will either be in the system as a level 1 user or level 2 user/supervisor. Those at level 1 can only see their own training history, but those at level 2 can see their history and that of the employees they supervise.
Registering for a course: 

  • By clicking on the “Courses” button on the left side of the screen and then “Search Courses”, opens a window which allows the user to search for any course in the catalog by inputting the course name or course code.  If unknown, key words can be used to identify courses. The Additional Filters function refines the search by course major (majors are pre-defined lists of related courses e.g., Customer Service or Effective Supervision Major), or delivery method.
  • Once you have typed in a search parameter, click on the Search button to pull up the course or list of related courses.
  • The search results are sorted with the most relevant course at the top. The list can be sorted by course code or name by clicking on the appropriate titles. The Course list contains information for each course: the course code, the name and a brief description of the course; Delivery Method (e.g. classroom or e-learning.), Cost and Action. The Action column will display options to ENROLL in the course, VIEW OFFERINGS or ADD INTEREST.
  • For classroom training, when a user clicks on the “Enroll” button, a separate screen will appear with tabs that show the course Details with an Enroll button to continue with the enrollment process.  Clicking on any of the Course Name links will allow the user to view the course details. Course Details include Name, Code, Cost, Course Description, Target Audience, Prerequisites and other information.
  • After clicking on the Enroll button your manager will be notified that their approval is pending, and the course will show up on your Home tab of your Home page under Self-Study. You can monitor the approval status there. You will also get an email notification when the approval has been completed.
  • There are more than 100 eLearning courses available that a user can take at any time on their computer.  To find online courses, select eLearning from the Delivery Method filter and click on the Search button.  To enroll, select the Launch button on the Course Details screen. All notification will be by email, and you should receive emails keeping you posted on your status in that course.
  • Viewing a training history: Go to "History" tab and pull up your training history. It should be complete.
  • For additional questions call (334) 844-4145.

1) Where do I go to get the training on the performance management process?

Human Resource Development offers four courses directly in support of the new process:  PM110, "The Principles of Performance Management," explains in some detail the three principles of planning, coaching, and feedback; PM120, "Establishing and Explaining Performance Expectations," will offer extensive practice in determining performance expectations/outcomes and suggestions on how to articulate expectations/outcomes to employees; MG520, "Coaching," will go into more detail on coaching and feedback; and PM100, "Introduction to AU's Performance Management Process," will be the course to introduce the process to new supervisors who join the University after the initial training.

Additionally, the Professional Development category of courses in the Training and Development Guide has been aligned to reflect support of the Universal Performance Dimensions and some of the Job Specific Competencies on the Planning and Review Form.

2) Will a good performance management rating get me a merit salary increase?

There are many factors that must be considered before providing a salary increase. The first factor is, of course, funding. Is money available to provide a salary increase?

A person’s overall performance rating is one very important factor used in determining merit increases but it is not the only factor.

3) Why don’t the Performance Management Review forms contain job descriptions?

Job descriptions are written using broad responsibility statements to describe a job that could be held by several employees.  Duties that are specific to and only performed by one individual may or may not be found in the broad responsibility statements in a job description.  The new Performance Management Review form allows a supervisor, in conjunction with the employee, to list duties that may be specific to the individual position rather than using broad responsibility statements. It also allows for the supervisor and employee to list any project related duties that will be occurring during the plan year.  Any duties listed must, of course, be job related.

4)  Will Human Resources send out the performance management review forms to supervisors each year as they have done in the past?

No, Human Resources will no longer send out the forms. The performance management forms are now on the Human Resources website.  The website contains both electronic versions and printable versions of all of the forms.  Each year Human Resources will send out a notice to supervisors reminding them that it is time to complete performance planning and performance reviews but Human Resources will no longer send paper copies of the forms to supervisors.

5) Since the performance year runs from June to May, does an employee who hasn’t been here for a year require a review?

Yes, otherwise the performance documentation for that portion of the year would not be captured.

6) Since the process runs for a year and in consideration of the probationary period that new employees serve, how do you fit a new employee into the process?

We recommend that you begin the planning process with the new employee immediately; in this way, at the end of a successful probationary period, you simply pick up with the planning that you’ve already done.  

Remember that initial probationary periods for new employees run for three calendar months commencing with the initial date of employment. For instance, if a person begins work on March 15th, his/her probationary period will end on June 15th.  Supervisors should be aware of the limits of the probationary period since they are informed of the period by the Human Resources Department when the new employee is hired. 

As far as fitting the review into the performance year, if the probationary period has ended within the current calendar/performance year, we recommend that you complete the review portion of the form for the new employee.  However, if the probationary period has carried over into the next calendar year, then we recommend that you complete the review within that next calendar/performance year.

7) Since I’m no longer in a supervisory role, why are you still contacting me to complete a review on this employee?

Supervisory relationships are recorded in Banner.  If that relationship changes sometime during the performance year, then the information in Banner must separately be changed by the activity or unit that changed the supervisory relationship.  You should contact the principal admin person in your office to make this correction in Banner.

8) Why aren’t you contacting me even though I am a supervisor?

See the answer directly above. We don’t know that you are a supervisor unless you have been so designated in Banner. You should contact the principal admin person in your unit to make the necessary change in Banner.

9) I am the new supervisor that took over in mid-year.  How do I get started on the process?

The previous supervisor should have passed the planning and development activities on to you.  If that is not the case, contact your supervisor for assistance in picking up from the previous supervisor.

10) One of the employees I supervise left the University in December.  Should I complete a review for him?

Yes; the completed Performance Management Planning and Review form should be filed in the employee’s personnel file so that his record is complete.

11) Where do I find the forms for the review?

Please click the following link for forms: Performance Management Form.

Please click the following link for Performance Management Process.

12) I saved the planning form on my computer and had the employee sign the planning portion.  But I don’t understand how I can now complete the review on the form on the computer and get the planning signatures again.  How do I do that, or do I need to?

When the review portion of the form is completed, you need not include the planning portion that you submit; that planning is intended to begin the performance communication between supervisor and employee at the start of the performance year.  If you have saved the form on your computer, you could, however, simply ask the employee to sign the planning portion again and use the original date when you signed for the planning.  In any case, we are not going to require the planning portion of the form to be signed when it is turned in for filing in the employee’s record.

13) Are “Supervisor’s Performance/Development Comments” required in the various sections as the supervisor completes the review?

No, but we do recommend that comments be included in all areas (Job Duties, Universal Performance Dimensions, and Job Specific Competencies).  The Performance Management Process is intended to enhance performance communication between the supervisor and employee.  That communication cannot take place if comments that should be made are not made.

14) I understand that I need to complete the form for the review and that I need to start the planning for the next performance year.  Can I use the same form that I used in the previous performance year for the planning for the next performance year?

No, you should start a new planning form.  You may want to address different job duties in the new performance year, and development activities should have changed from one year to the next.

15) Should I discuss the planning for the new performance year with the employee at the same time that I do the review for the previous year?

We recommend that you use two separate sessions–one to close out the previous performance year and another to initiate the planning and development discussion for the new performance year.

Q - What happens to my annual and sick leave when I quit?

A - On leaving AU employment, employees receive up to one (1) month's additional pay for their accrued, unused annual leave.

"5.6.6 Eligible employees will be compensated for accrued annual leave at the time of separation from University employment (termination or retirement) to a maximum of one month's additional compensation. "

Terminating employees who were hired before 10/1/1990 can be paid for 25% of their unused sick leave, up to one month's pay. Those hired on or after 10/1/1990 are not eligible for payment of unused sick leave.

"5.5.10 An eligible employee hired before October 1, 1990, may be compensated for unused sick leave at the rate of 25 percent, subject to a maximum of one additional month's pay or equivalent, upon terminating University employment. "

However, retiring employees may receive credit for their unused sick leave from the Teachers Retirement System. Please see for details and limitations.

Q - What is "Comp Time"?

A - Compensatory ("comp") time is an alternate means of satisfying the employer's overtime obligation to employees. As such, it must be on a time-and-a-half basis. FLSA limits comp time accrual to 240 hours. Supervisors should be aware that a comp time balance is a liability; employees should be discouraged from keeping a large balance. Unused comp time must be paid for upon the employee's termination (and usually upon transfer).  FLSA requires records to be kept of comp time worked and used.  Comp time worked should be recorded on the biweekly timesheet, while comp time used is entered on form HR8, the leave request form.

Q - Can I round off the times entered on my timesheet?

A - Accurate records must be kept for all hours worked by nonexempt employees. Records of time worked must be maintained for at least three (3) years. Time may be recorded on a time sheet or using a time clock. The recording of time worked requires "rounding-off" to some arbitrary interval. We recommend a 15-minute interval. Please note that the rounding of time entries in recording hours worked has nothing to do with the requirement for employees to comply with their established work schedules! For example, if you are supposed to start work at 7:30 and you arrive at 7:35, you are allowed to put 7:30 on your time sheet, but you are still considered to be late to work. It's up to supervisors to inform their employees that "rounding" does not give them a grace period; if you have an employee who has an attendance problem, you should note and document all instances of tardiness.

Q - Are Temporary employees eligible for holiday pay?

A - No.

Last updated: 06/20/2018