New Applicant:

 Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find answers to the most common questions asked about the housing application process for incoming students. If you do not find answers to your questions here, please send us an email.

No. On-campus housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, there are not enough beds on campus to house the entire freshman class. Housing assignments will be determined by the housing priority date (the date that the housing application was submitted).

To begin the process of requesting a housing accommodation, please contact the Office of Accessibility at 334-844-2096 or To ensure you are able to self-select your assignment during the first round, please complete the housing accommodation request process by January 31.

Students in need of a personal care assistant (PCA) must request key and/or swipe card access to their residence hall for each PCA. Proof of successful completion of a criminal background check for each PCA must be provided. Students are advised to begin the PCA access process at least four weeks prior to the date the student will move into their residence hall. Contact AU Housing for additional information about how to register your PCA(s) for residence hall access.

To request an Emotional Support Animal accommodation as defined by The Fair Housing Act, please contact the Office of Accessibility as soon as you are aware of your need.

Yes, you may rank order your housing choices on the application. Remember, not everyone will receive their first housing choice. If you want to live with someone, you should list that person’s name and student number on the application. Your housing assignment will be determined by whichever of you has the earliest housing priority date.
University Housing no longer assigns students to a waiting list. Instead, any housing applicant who does not receive a housing assignment is given standby status. This means that when a space becomes available, usually due to a cancellation, the space will be assigned to a standby student on the first or fifteenth of each month until the first day of fall classes.
All official correspondence from University Housing is sent to the student’s Tigermail address. Incoming student may receive some communications mailed to their home address. Check your Tigermail account often.
Yes, based on availability, students may switch or swap room or residence halls during Room Change Week. There is one Room Change Week in the fall and one in the spring semesters.
Yes. If you move off campus, you must pay for a space on campus for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters). You may pay a buyout fee ($3000) if you would like to be released from your housing agreement. If you wish to initiate a buyout, email with your request.
Last Updated: May 20, 2019