Pharmacy Students Make Nationwide Impact Through Summer Programs

Kiara Parker, Kara White, Emily Tsiao, Genesee Fernandez and Jasleen Bolina participated in summer programs From left: Kiara Parker, Kara White, Emily Tsiao, Genesee Fernandez and Jasleen Bolina, all participated in summer programs

August 3, 2016

By Sarah Russell

AUBURN, Alabama – This summer several Harrison School of Pharmacy students have travelled around the country to serve in internship and fellowship positions in a variety of areas of pharmacy. Students Jasleen Bolina, Genesee Fernandez, Kiara Parker, Emily Tsiao and Kara White did everything from work on an Indian reservation in Arizona to work in one of the nation’s leading laboratories at Eli Lilly.

Jasleen Bolina | Genesee Fernandez | Kiara Parker | Emily Tsiao | Kara White

Read the full story on Jasleen Bolina
Jasleen Bolina, a third-year student from Newnan, Georgia, took her skills and passion westward to a Navajo reservation in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, where she worked for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in their Indian Health Service initiative.

Bolina was one of 50 pharmacy students who were selected for the Junior Commissioned Officer Student Training and Extern Program (JRCOSTEP) program with the United States Public Health Service.

Although she wasn’t quite prepared her for the differences of Navajo language and culture, Bolina said her HSOP experiences were invaluable to her experience.

“Without my education at HSOP so far, I think I would be completely lost. During my few weeks here, I have drawn from every course that I have taken at HSOP,” Bolina said. “Whenever I counsel a patient, the basis for that interaction is derived from what I learned during my first year of pharmacy school.”

Read the full story on Genesee Fernandez
Genesee Fernandez, a second-year student, spent her summer in Silver Spring, Maryland, participating in a fellowship with the Food and Drug Administration at the Office of Clinical Pharmacology. Fernandez’s major project focused on the development and regulatory evaluation of dermatology, gastroenterology and reproductive products.

Through her fellowship, Fernandez has been able to gain experience in the academic areas of the pharmaceutical industry with hands-on experience with professionals in the field.

“I believe this internship will open many doors for me in areas of public health and industry for an atypical career in pharmacy,” Fernandez said. “This internship has definitely been a wonderful experience that has allowed me to broaden my knowledge about other opportunities in the field of pharmacy.”

Read the full story on Kiara Parker
Kiara Parker, a second-year student from Birmingham, participated in the James A. Ferguson Emerging Infectious Diseases Fellowship Program in Baltimore, Maryland, at Johns Hopkins University. The fellowship was sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As a fellow she received training in research and worked with research mentors on projects related to infectious diseases treatment, prevention and epidemiology. Parker said she is thankful to have had training specifically in her area of research, influenza immunization, from her first year of school at HSOP.

“The fact that HSOP allows its first year students to become immunization certified really came in handy,” Parker said. “All the information I’ve learned about the influenza vaccine provided a great foundation of knowledge that I have expanded upon for this fellowship.”

Read the full story on Emily Tsiao
Emily Tsiao, a third-year student, spent her summer in Baltimore, Maryland, participating in the Johns Hopkins Pharmacy Internship Program at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Throughout her internship, Tsiao took on several projects, ranging from writing an article for the department’s newsletter, to conducting literature reviews, to a major presentation.

She devoted the bulk of her work to her major project, in which she evaluated the suitability of several different competency management systems (CMSs) for The Johns Hopkins Hospital’s needs.

“Being a part of the Johns Hopkins Pharmacy Internship Program has been one of the most influential experiences in my pharmacy career thus far,” Tsiao said. “Through this internship, I have gained a greater respect for the power of good leadership.”

Read the full story on Kara White
Kara White, a fourth-year student from Uniontown, travelled to Indianapolis, Indiana, to work with Auburn alumnus Dr. Carl McMillian’s research and development group at Eli Lilly and Company, as a part of the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) program.

White’s project for the summer involved facilitating the development and testing processes of diabetes treatments. She says she’s enjoyed her work so much that she’s interested in pursuing a career there after graduation.

“Since I’ve been here, I’ve seen numerous career opportunities for a pharmacist,” White said. “It’s given me a chance to shape my career path not just doing research on the internet, but actually working hands-on, side-by-side with the different individuals in the company so that I can broaden my career aspirations to see what’s out there.”

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: August 3, 2016