International Student COVID-19 Operational FAQs


We are currently processing course-drop requests via email. Requests should be emailed to, and must include the title and number of the course you are planning to drop in the email. You will receive specific instructions from an international advisor on dropping the course.

It is your choice on whether you choose to travel at this time or remain in Auburn until the end of the spring semester. You will need to talk to your professors to ensure that you will be able to complete all your courses before your departure.

Regarding your immigration status, we are monitoring the immigration situation very closely and you should maintain your enrollment in courses and attend all remote sessions.

If you decide to travel, we will need you to send an email to with the following information:

  • First and Last Name
  • Banner ID
  • Travel Destination
  • Departure Date
  • Return Date (if known)
  • Reason for travel
  • Date of last travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 form

If you choose to depart Auburn early, please be aware that you must settle your rent payment and any other outstanding bills or debts before departing. A lease is a binding contract between you and your landlord, and your choice to depart before the lease is over does not absolve you of your responsibility to pay rent for the rest of the lease term.

If you are in need of a travel signature and have emailed the information listed above to, you will receive an email with instructions for getting a new I-20 signed for travel.

To pay for your health insurance, email to schedule a time to pay for your insurance over the phone with a credit card. Do not email your credit card information.

The Auburn University Medical Clinic and Auburn University Student and Employee Pharmacies are open. However, if you have symptoms possibly related to COVID-19, i.e. cough, fever, or shortness of breath, then you should call the clinic at 334-844-4416 to schedule a time to visit. They will provide instructions on visiting their facility.

If you are not feeling well but do not want to risk going to the clinic, your insurance provider, United Health Care, provides alternative resources such as Teledoc. Students who are enrolled in UHCSR insurance can seek medical advice by phone consultation at no charge. You can get information on Teledoc in your UHCSR Portal.

Counseling services are also available from the Auburn University Student Counseling and Psychological Services office of Student Affairs. Due to the need for social distancing, SCPS will only be providing individual consultations by phone. If you are an Auburn University student and need further assistance or are in crisis, please call SCPS at 334-844-5123 for support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

UHCSR also provides a mental health resource called BetterYou. This resource can assist students at any time, in any format of communication the student desires, i.e. text, email, or phone call. Students who are enrolled in UHCSR are not charged. You can get information on BetterYou in your UHCSR Portal.

The Auburn Insurance Coordinators are also available to answer any questions by sending an email to .

COVID-19 Information

We are taking action to ensure our members affected by COVID-19 have the support and resources they need. For additional details, visit the page.

COVID-19 - Coronavirus
Will testing be covered?

Yes, It is covered and member cost sharing will be waived, Including copays, coInsurance and deductible for COVID-19 diagnostic testing provided at approved locations in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Additional Support

Take advantage of our virtual visit* capability available through the HealthIestYou mobile app or My Account.

*UHCSR Insureds have access at no charge, when included with their UHCSR medical plan, or at a $40 copay otherwise.

You can still apply for OPT, however, you must be in the U.S. and remain in the U.S. while it is being processed. You will need to complete the OPT Request form and email it to with all the required documents.

The Office of International Programs will continue to process H-1B petitions for our international faculty and staff or students transitioning to staff positions. Departments should initiate H-1B sponsorship for current or future employees by submitting the Prevailing Wage Request form to Stephanie Freeman,

Visit the Auburn Marriage and Family Therapy Center’s website to learn about the different counseling services offered to individuals, couples and families.

In addition, there is free counseling with UHCSR. Their 24/7 counseling services can be reached at 877-862-1172. Auburn students can request counseling in many different languages via different forms of communication.

Individuals returning to Auburn from international travel must do one of the following regardless of vaccination status:

  1. Quarantine for 10 days before returning to campus, or

  2. Receive both of the following:

    • A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on day 3 after arrival, and

    • A rapid antigen test on day 5 after arrival.

    The individual must quarantine until receipt of a negative result on both tests and the individual is not showing symptoms of Covid-19. The individual may return to campus only if both tests are negative. The individual should continue to self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days and seek medical care and Covid-19 testing if symptoms develop.

    If either test result is positive, the individual should isolate themselves to protect others from getting infected.

For more information, please review the Auburn University COVID-19 Travel Guidelines

Yes. Auburn University Student Health Insurance company/plan should pay for services provided as long as the student shows their insurance card and their enrollment is active. Also, there is no charge for TB testing. If the student is charged a $25 fee, AUMC will write that charge off.

Last Updated: April 06, 2022