Full-time English language teachers are needed for a unique teaching opportunity in Daegu, South Korea.
The Daegu Gyeongbuk English Village (DGEV) is a partnership between Auburn University (Alabama, USA) and Yeungjin University (Daegu, South Korea). The purpose of the Village is to offer additional training to students of all ages in the usage of the English language in an experiential learning environment. For more information on DGEV please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The city of Daegu, the fourth largest city in the South Korea, is a one-hour flight or 90-minute KTX train ride southeast of Seoul. DGEV is located thirty minutes northwest of Daegu in a protected mountain setting.
Full-time teachers will commit to a 12-month contract and teach five days per week as scheduled (possibly including weekends, holidays and evening hours). An on-site international management team provides continuing support to teachers in all facets of teaching and living at the Village. All instruction is in English. Teachers are advised and supported through the process of obtaining a work visa prior to departure for South Korea.
- Bachelor's degree in an academic field
- A commitment to teaching in diverse linguistic and cultural educational settings
- Cross cultural understanding and appreciation
- Willingness to attend a one-week unpaid orientation and training upon arrival in South Korea
- Ability to commit to a 12-month contract
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Bachelor's degree in an academic field related to education or English
- At least one year of teaching experience
- K-8 teaching credentials or early childhood education experience
- South Korean Won 24,000,000 (Level 1) to 30,000,000 (Level 4)
- Private furnished dorm room with bath, heated floors and central air conditioning, plus three buffet style meals per day in the Village cafeteria. (The accommodation provided is valued at an estimated South Korean won 12,253,164. Teachers signing a second contract may have the option of moving into off-campus apartments.)
- Access to the Internet, computer resources, a teacher resource room/office space, a 24-hour-on-site fitness center and scheduled shuttle bus service between the Village and Daegu.
- Korean health insurance and pension plans (with a small percentage of monthly salary contributed by the teacher).
- 20 paid vacation days and two sick leave days per 12-month contract.
- An airline ticket to Korea. After completing the full contract period, a return flight ticket is also provided. Flight costs are not covered if the contract terms are broken.
If you wish to be considered for a teaching position, please submit the following materials via e-mail:
- A completed application form
- A cover letter detailing why you would like to teach at DGEV
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae
- Any other information that will give us better insight into your professional abilities and experience
Please also be prepared to submit the following items:
- University diploma(s) notarized on the front and Apostille
- The first two pages of your passport (colored copy needed)
- Visa photo
- FBI Criminal Background Check and Apostille
Ms. Jane Miller, Program Coordinator, Auburn University
- All applicants should be aware that immigration requirements for a Korean E-2 work visa include a national-level criminal background check with apostille, a copy of the teacher's highest degree with apostille and health screening for HIV/drugs. The exact requirements set by the Korean immigration authorities vary slightly based on the teacher's nationality. Teacher reference checks are conducted before an interview is scheduled. A health screening will be conducted upon arrival in Korea. Contracts are conditional upon each of these requirements being satisfied.
- New teachers will arrive one week before their teaching contract for unpaid training/orientation and to take care of personal matters (bank accounts, health insurance/screening, etc.). The pay period is effective upon the first official day of teaching at DGEV and the contract appointment shall end 12 months after that date. Pay day is the 25th of each month.
- Teachers are employees of Yeungjin University, not Auburn University.
- It is DGEV policy that no visible tattoos or piercings are allowed for the instructors.