- Adverbs are used to describe, or modify verbs, other adverbs, and
adjectives. They answer the questions when?, where?, how?, how much?
- Many adverbs in Russian are formed from adjectives by adding the
ending -o to the stem:
- In English very often the adverb and the adjective look
|adjective||This is a fast car.
|adverb||This car is fast.
- When translating into Russian, you should always look
at the word that is being modified to figure out if you need an
adjective or an adverb.
- Russian also has adverbs that are not formed from adjectives.
- Adverbs of place answer the question где?:
здесь, там, дома
- Adverbs of direction answer the questions куда? and откуда?:
сюда, туда, отсюда, оттуда, домой
- Adverbs of time answer the question
когда?: сейчас, теперь, завтра, вчера, позавчера, послезавтра,
- Adverbs of manner answer the question как?: трудно, легко. The majority of these are formed from adjectives.
- Adverbs of quantity answer the question сколько?: мало, много, несколько, немного.