FLRU 2510 Russian Culture
Land of the Firebird: Study Guide
- Why do you think Peter hated the Kremlin?
- What was Peter's childhood like?
- How did Peter learn about Western traditions and innovations before he went to Europe?
- Who were Patrick Gordon, Francis Lefort and Prince Menshikov?
- What were some of the trades Peter learned in Europe?
- What was Peter's reaction when he saw all the novelties in Europe?
- What kind of people did Peter ask to come to Russia?
- How did Russians react to Peter's westernization?
- How did Peter change Russia after his trip to the west? What kind of things did he introduce?
- The building of St. Petersburg.
- Why did Peter want to build the city?
- Why did he build it on that particular spot?
- How was it different from other Russian cities?
- What were some of the problems in building the city?
- What was the reaction of the Russians to the new city?
- What is the architectural significance of the Peter and Paul Fortress?
- What was Peter's taste in architectural design and indoor furnishings?
- What kind of relationship did Peter have with his son Alexis?
- What are some similarities in personality and manner of ruling Russia among Vladimir, Ivan the Terrible and Peter?
- Significance of the Neva in the daily life of St. Petersburg.
- How is St. Petersburg different architecturally from Moscow?
- Describe the "international" character of St. Petersburg in the 18th and 19th century.
- Describe Nevsky Avenue.
- What kind of exotic things could be found in the shops on Nevsky Avenue?
- Russian coachmen
- Describe Russian "drozhki".
- What is a "troika"?
- What were market places like in St. Petersburg?
- Compare feasts and balls in St. Petersburg to those in Moscow in earlier periods.
- What were Western attitudes toward Russians at the time of Peter and Later? Compare to earlier Moscow times.