FLRU 2520 Russia Today
Nancy Ries: BUSINESS, TAXES, AND CORRUPTION IN RUSSIA
Read the article BUSINESS, TAXES, AND CORRUPTION IN RUSSIA.
- What is the attitude of Russian businesspeople toward taxes?
- According to the author, one business person said "I would like to pay taxes honestly," he said, "but they make that impossible." How do they make it impossible?
- How does this same person avoid paying taxes that he is supposed to be paying?
- How do companies handle their transactions to avoid paying taxes?
- How do employees avoid paying taxes at the higher rate?
- What strategy do businesses use to help maintain the concealment of profits to avoid paying large taxes?
- What are relationships like among employees in Russian firms? Why is this type of relationship important?
- What is the attitude toward "honesty" in paying taxts? What is the example described in the article?
- Many Russians say to hand over taxes willingly is seen as enriching government bureaucrats at the expense of the "community." What do you think of this attitude?