ENGL 2210 World Literature II
Shelley: Study Guide
"Stanzas Written in Dejection"
- What is the vantage point of the observer? From which point is he observing nature?
- What kind of mood do the first two stanzas project?
- How does the mood contrast with the title of the poem?
- Notice the instances in the poem where nature is personified.
- In the third stanza, point to the differences between the poet and others. Why do you think he does not find pleasure in things in life that most others find?
- What is the poet's attitude toward death? (Last two stanzas).
- What do you think is the poet's attitude toward dejection? Is it something to be avoided? Is it pleasurable?