ENGL 2210 World Literature II
Leopardi: Study Guide
- This poem was written in the aftermath of a deep felt but unrequited love.
- Whom is the poet addressing? The title indicates that he is addressing himself. Who is "himself"? How is it possible for oneself to address oneself?
- What do you think is the "illusion that the poet refers to in the second line? Why is the illusion dead?
- As the poet looks back at his life, what is his attitude toward the past? What does he think of life?
- What is his attitude toward death?
- What is his opinion of nature?