ENGL 2210 World Literature II
Indigenous African Religions. Study Guide
- The author states that African religions provide people with a "world view." What is a good definition of "world view," and how much of your own world view do you think has been provided by your religion, or by a lack of a religious experience?
- What are "rituals" and what is their role in culture? With which human events are they most often associated?
- What are some specific similarities between Monotheistic religions and African religiouns' conception of God?
- What are some differences?
- Gaining favors from good spirits depends on proper behavior. What specifically is "good" behavior, according to African religious belief? What does failing to follow these guidelines result in
- Describe the types of human spirits and their specific roles.
- How is respect to the ancestors shown?
- What is the role of the nature spirits?
- How does one get protection from bad spirits?
- Who are the religious leaders in African religions?
- What roles do priests play in African religions? How do they communicate with ancestral spirits?
- What is the role of the rain-makeers? What may be the reason for the lack of rain, and how is the problem solved?
- What is the primary cause of illness, according to African beliefs?
- Who are the two types of healers in African religious traditions, and how does each type practice their healing?
- What two religions in the America originate from Africa?