ENGL 2210 World Literature II
Heine: Study Guide
"A pine is standing lonely"
"A young man loves a maiden"
- How is nature personified in this poem?
- Why is the pine lonely?
- How is the poem an example of an archetypal tragedy?
- How well do you think the poem describes the romantic concept of desire for the unattainable love-object? Why can't the two trees ever meet?
"Ah, death is like the long cool night"
- Describe the complicated relationship among the various characters in the poem.
- Where does the undertone of sadness derive from in this poem?
- How is the fate of the lovers in this poem similar to those in "A pine stands lonely."
- Comment on the poet's assertion that this story is "old," and "Yet somehow always new."
- Describe the concept of death and longing for death implied in this poem.
- How is death contrasted with life? Which seems to be preferable?
- Compare the vision of death in this poem to Leopardi's "To Himslef."