ENGL 2210 World Literature II
David Banach: "The Ethics of Absolute Freedon"
- Describe what it means to be an absolute individual.
- Describe the Existentialist and the taditional (religious) views of the Existence - Essence concepts of man's nature.
- What is "bad faith", according to Sartre? Provide several examples of how sometimes we act in bad faith.
- What does having "absolute freedom" for an individual mean?
- What is the myth of Sisyphus, and how is our situation similar to his, according to Camus?
- According to the author of this article, how do "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" embody the Existentialist theme that true happiness must come from within?
- What is the Existentialist secret to happiness?
- According to Existentialist ethics, how should one act towards other people, and why?
- Describe ANY resemblances in your character that you may have in your concepts of freedom, happiness, and ethics that resemble those of the Existentialists.