ENGL 2210 World Literature II
Read the essay writing instructions before you write your essay. Select only ONE topic.
- Discuss the theme of corruption of religion in the play.
- Discuss Cleante's OR Dorine's role in the play as the voices of common sense and reason.
- The purpose of literature during the Enlightenment was to entertain and educate it's audience. Discuss how the play can be educational.
- Select at least three comic scenes from the play and describe how the comedy, or farce, is constructed. In other words, what makes the scenes "funny", and how is laughter evoked.
- Discuss what you think might be the roots of Orgon's religious extremism and his infatuation with Tartuffe. What makes him vulnerable to Tartuffe's deception?
Your essay should be no less than 350 words, and no more than 400 words. Indicate the number of words at the bottom of the essay.