Chapter 8, Slide I - Hearing Impairment
K. Interacting with hearing impaired persons
- Respect the individual. Don't walk away or terminate the conversation prematurely.
- Do not treat them as "handicapped."
- Avoid talking loudly. It is better to slow down and pronounce your words clearly.
- When asked to repeat, revise the sentence rather than say it the same way you did before.
- Give additional cues with facial expression and gestures.
- It is all right to ask them to write a message if you cannot understand after repeated attempts.
- Understand the need for "accessibility" for communication in public facilities and agencies.