Chapter 8, Slide A - Hearing Impairment
A. Types of hearing impairment
1. Conductive (problem in outer or middle ear)
- a. Outer ear: growth, foreign object in ear canal. Ear canal must be completely blocked for hearing loss to occur.
- b. Middle ear: fluid, trauma or growths on chain of bones in the middle ear.
2. Sensori-neural (problem in inner ear or nervous system)
- a. Damage to inner ear. Aging, noise induced hearing loss, ototoxic drugs.
- b. Tumor in the canals through which the auditory nerve passes to cortex.