Chapter 7, Slide E - Voice Differences
D. Characteristics of voice
- a. Clarity of voice.
- b. Perceived on a continuum of poor-to-good
- c. Normal quality: doesn't call attention to itself
- d. Breathy: extra air (breath) because vocal folds don't close
- e. Hoarse: stiffness in vocal folds
- f. Harsh: irregular vibration due to vocal fold damage
E. Changes in voice quality
- Changes can be result of physical condition, i.e., cancer, polyps, nodules, edema, etc.
- Any voice change that persists over two weeks should receive the attention of an ENT.