Chapter 4, Slide C - Fluency Disorders
C. Possible causes: what causes it, when it is most noticeable. Lots of different theories, lots of different evidence to support those theories.
1. Cerebral dominance
- a. One of oldest theories. Most motor activity is lateralized, eg., arms or legs
- b. Speech is result of movement of muscles on the body's midline
- c. Suggests neither hemisphere is dominant
- d. Result is that each hemisphere vies for control of speech
- e. Evidence: more left-handed persons are disfluent (proportionately)